Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Boonies is a Whole Other World


I've dashed back to our old house for a few minutes this evening, cos the one thing our little home in the country does not have yet.............. internet. How in the world did we ever survive before the internet?? I have no idea, but I can tell you, I miss it dearly.

I'm also going to confess a little bit here and say, while yes we are excited about our new property and all the potential it holds, I will admit the move to Boonie'ville has been tough for Shinks, especially at night. Being so isolated and surrounded by mostly trees is very VERY scary. Such a setting is ripe for sending a girls thoughts and fears into complete overdrive. I swear I have myself convinced that all that is evil and wrong with the world shows up a night-fall in the woods surrounding my home and stays there all night watching me. Watching and hoping I'm brave/silly enough to stick my head out the door. Characters and creatures both fictitious and real e.g. The Blair Witch, all of the killers from Saw 1 thru 60 (or whatever number they're on now) as well as Halloween 1 thru 72, are all hanging out, biding their time waiting for a chance to do me some harm. Its crazy I know, but its true. I am a complete girl when it comes to isolation, darkness and nothing but trees. This adjustment is tough and one that will require large amounts of time for me to become acclimatized. But I will get there, I know I will. I have no choice. Its where I live now.



2 comments:

McHugh said...

hi i am an old friend of Pauls from way way back (umass), Melissa . My husband Michael and I live on 63 acres of land on a tiny lake in upstate NY w/ our 4 girls ages 15, 12, 7 and 5 Our driveway is a half mile long.... moved from the city to the country 11 years ago. My husband works swing shifts in the ER over in MA and consequently I can COMPLETELY sympathize w/ the eerie isolation issues :) Ever thought of getting a BIG dog? We have 2 and they are a godsend! Major security. Love your photos!!!! I could not wait to see what the new place looked like! Now you guys can start designing your dream home right? :)Good luck w/ the move! Personally I threaten my husband regularly that I will NEVER move again....the entire process is way too @#$%%^ stressful!

Shinks said...

Hey Melissa, have heard a lot about you. Welcome to my blog. Are you married to McDreamy or McSteamy?? Yes, a great big dog has been discussed, along with a little target practice at the shooting-range. Will definitely be doing both. A girl can never have enough ways to protect herself from her overactive imagination. But we need to get Fintan settled into his new environment before we throw a doggie in the mix. Little fella is stressed and confused right now.