Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Who Does That?

Who shows up to photography class with no camera? If there was a world record for raising ones hand in the air, then I just smashed it. GUILTY, "I" show up to photography class with no camera. Don't ask me what I was thinking, cos clearly, I wasn't. And having to borrow the teachers camera of one of the assignments, meant having to say out loud, to the whole class, "Hi my name is Karen and I show up to photography class without a camera". "Hi Karen". Oh the shame, and you call yourself a professional??

Who hears a simple question like "What's your favorite color?" and immediately goes into panic mode? Once again, GUILTY.
Its a simple question right? But for some reason it triggered a very stressful and unnecessary internal dialogue with oneself. Its pink, my favorite color is pink, so why couldn't I just say it and own it without all the drama. For some reason it felt like a trick question, like the answer was somehow suppose to reflect something deeper. So instead of announcing loud and proud, I tried to figure out where this was going. Why do they want to know? What is the right answer? If I say pink will I be perceived as feeble and girlie? So maybe I should go with black, I do wear a lot of black and black feels tougher, stronger and more independent, right? OMG! what to say, what to say? What's wrong with being girlie anyway? I am a girl after all. Eff it, here I go "Hi my name is Karen and I like pink". "Hi Karen".


7 comments:

Silja said...

So tell us why didn´t you have your camera with you? it sure doesn´t sound like you ;)

miss you!

Shinks said...

Girl I thought you'd be all over the the declaration of pink as a favorite color and not the forgetfulness of the camera.
But its a long and very uninteresting story of confusion. Not worth a blog, trust me.

Silja said...

True... Shinks ... PINK? That actually is a big surprise ... but the camera was soooo not like you

I don´t remember seeing you in pink though. I think you are a closet pinker ;)

Unknown said...

There is nothing wrong with liking pink. That is hilarious. I know what you mean, I am an over-analyzer as well. I answered green in a heartbeat and the more I sat there I was like but that's not my only favorite color and I'm lying and I have to say the others because then I would be lying and I blurted out, I like yellow...and red. How the devil was that such a hard question? By the way, I love your style of writing very much and can't wait to read more of your thoughts.

Tasra Dawson said...

Wait? Okay, now am I just a bad listener or did you even have to answer that question. Were you doing all that freaking out when I answered the question? I'm confused.... maybe I shouldn't stay up until 2 am... confusion is inevitable at that point. :-)

Shinks said...

Abra: You know what, I've now discovered I was lying too. The confession will come shortly.

Tasra: Your so funny. No, I didn't even have to answer it. It was your question, but I thought it was going to be asked of me next and I was doing a preemptive freak out.

Shannon said...

Karen - you're so great! I didn't have to answer the question either but my mind was REELING as to where it was going and if I had to answer it...does that mean we were bad listeners? I think it was because it was SOO silent for SO long after each question...just inviting your brain to go crazy!