Monday, March 29, 2010

I Blame The Lucky Charms


Its ok to sound Irish”, was what Husband said to me the other day when I hung up the phone. He’d been listening to me chatting and noted my effort in trying to sound less Irish. And its true, when I’m talking to new people, people who don’t yet know me very well, I work hard at toning down the accent. Not because I’m embarrassed, ashamed or don’t want to stand out, but because I’m trying desperately to avoid “The Lucky Charms” experience.


True story, when I first moved to the US I found myself in a conversation with someone who’d just been introduced to me. We were doing the usual small talk and chit-chat stuff you do with someone you just met, when all of a sudden dude discovers I’m Irish and right out of nowhere yells “Where’s me Lucky Charms?” It scared the bejaysus out of me and with a nervous laugh I began scanning the room for a couple of guys in white coats to tackle this man to the floor and have him readmitted to the crazy ward.


Later Husband, who was Boyfriend at the time, explained that Lucky Charms was in fact a popular American cereal who’s branding was based largely around a jolly Leprechaun famous for uttering the catch phrase “Where’s me Lucky Charms?”. Oooh, well that explains it. Dude wasn’t crazy, he was just trying to be funny. And now I knew.

The second time it happened, the second time the infamous Leprechaun words were yelled (don’t ask me why people feel the need to yell) at me I was ready. This time I laughed knowingly. I was in the loop. I got it. However, the joke gets old very quickly and when you’ve been yelled at for the 500,078th time “Where’s me Lucky Charms?” it ceases to be funny. But I try not to be rude. Every new person who yells it truly believes that they are being completely original. That no one else has had the wit or wisdom to come up with such a funny Irish connection before now. So I laugh politely to avoid any hurt feelings but make a note to work on toning down the Irishness next time I’m introduced to someone. Just until we get over that initial bump and any urge they may have to yell cereal catch phrases my way.



Here is an image of the Leprechaun who is causing all the problems. This little guy really has some explaining to do.


cereal.jpg



3 comments:

Polish guy with no accent said...

You're Irish???

Shinks said...

I know, who knew?? We both cover it up so well. The only clue is when you let the old F-bombs rip. Then your cover is blown.

Lisa A said...

OMG this is SO TRUE!! We should form a club...anonymous and all...hahaha or have you gotten the Irish Spring...so many ask me...so is Ireland like the Irish Spring advert...and of course for ages I was clueless as to what that even meant...now I know and still I say "sure, just like the girl in taffeta dress frolicking in a meadow" BLAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH...my husband actually bought me that cereal, I never ate it and it hasn't been in our home since!