Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Solace Sabotage


I know its not a library, the bookstore that is, but for some reason, and I believe I'm not alone, when I go to the bookstore I immediately adapt the behavior of a library. My phone goes on silent and I become very aware of the tone and volume of my voice. So imagine my horror last night when I rocked up to the bookstore with the goal of seeking solace in some literature and a green tea and instead found myself with a ringside seat to the cellphone conversation of a teenage girl in the midst of some BFF drama. And we are talkin some major drama. The elevated voice, the waving of the hands and the slapping of the thighs were all tell tale signs that things between these teenage girls, were very serious indeed. "Do you know what she had said?" "....and then I was like" "....Oh no, you don't do me like that" ".....who she think she is?" "and then she was be'in all emotional and I was like, "girl, why you bin all emotional?""
On and on teenage girl went. Saying the same stuff. Going over the same issues at a volume best suited for a crowed night club and not the tranquility of a bookstore. Myself and my fellow bookstore'ers (new word, not yet in dictionary but is used in reference to people who hang out in bookstores. No I didn't just make it up, how dare you) exchanged knowing and supportive glances. Supportive in the hope that 1. teenage girl would wear herself out 2. lose her voice 3. her phone battery would die. Things were looking up when teenage girl uttered the words "hold on hold on, girl wait. My battery's about to die. No, no, I got it right here. Hold on" Are ya kidding me? Teenage girl had her phone charger with her, in her purse and the cheeky little thing starts dragging her chair (more noise) over to the nearest outlet, plugs herself in and without missing a beat is off and running her mouth again. I couldn't take it anymore. This attack on my solace, my me and quiet time was totally premeditated. How rude and I try my best to communicate this to her telepathically and with aggressive, disapproving facial expressions. But she's oblivious and can only think about how she is gonna handle herself once she gets to school tomorrow, "I'ma wait and see what she has to say". And with that, I was out.


However, I hate to end my blog/rant on an aggressive note, so I thought I'd include this silhouette of Husband & Dexter, taken just before sun-set this evening and I believe this is the waltz they're practicing.


4 comments:

Silja said...

You should have told that girl to get the hell out... or talk to the staff... ;)

I envy you of those great bookstores in the US... when I finally come over we´re gonna have a bookstore date... and a lot of other dates... ;)

p.s. great picture of your boys

Shinks said...

Girl it was a bookstore, I'm not sure of my rights. Am I able to have her tossed out?

Yes, for the bookstore date. Hurry up and come visit. Your missing all the drama over here.

Brianna said...

I feel the same way! It's why I won't ever go on a friday night anymore. (which really screws things up when I'm dateless...only so many things you can do by yourself). But i found that the teenagers congregate there and they get on my last nerve.

Shinks said...

Brianna: even when your married the bookstore is still a nice escape. I'm just sayin