Monday, September 1, 2008

Results


The pace-making went great. I did my job fabulously and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was some confusion going on right up until I started my warm-up. The meet organiser wanted me to run the first 400m in 59 seconds but the athletes were not pleased. They wanted me to take it out faster, cos they were looking for some good times. It was debated for a while and finally I was given the number 58 as the target for the first 400m. So I spent the day before getting my mind set and rhythm in tune for a 58 second pace. However, once I arrived at the stadium I'm approached by the coach of one of the athletes and he asks me if it would be possible to do a 57 second opening lap instead. Of course it would. I'm here to please. Your wish is my command, only please, can't we all just agree on a time and leave it at that. I'm almost exhausted running the race in my head at the various paces that I'm at risk of not nailing it in the actual race.

I take matters into my own hands. I spot most of the girls warming up and decide to do a little poll. Ladies, I have a 59, 58 and 57 second opening lap on offer, who wants what? The overwhelming response is 57, so that's it. It's finally agreed, 57 seconds it is.

There were a little nerves before the race. But once the gun went, I got out and took my position at the front of the field and established a rhythm that I felt was right on track. A quick glance at the clock as we approached the 400m mark told me I was spot on. My legs felt strong so I was prepared to take it all the way to 600m. But the British athlete, Marilyn Okoro, who went on to win, (thats her in the above photo) came up next to me right as we approached 500m and told me "I got it". I was surprised. She was well clear of the rest of the field, but that meant she still had another 300m left to run solo, which is a tough task especially when the fatigue kicks in. But I figured she had some sort of race plan and I didn't want to be responsible for interfering with that in any way, so I stepped off to the side. I was kind of bummed. I really wanted to see what kind of time I could have hit for 600m. But it wasn't about me, it was about doing the job for the athletes, so I put my own ambitions aside and focused on the athletes.

So all around, it was a great success and as a result, I've picked up 2 other gigs. Friday I'm off to the Slovak Republic. I run there on Sunday the 7th. Then it's onwards to Italy for another race on Wednesday the 10th. In the mean time I have flown over to Ireland to stay with my best friend Derval, who I haven't seen since well before the Olympics, which is too long. So we'll spend the next few days bonding, reconnecting, braiding each others hair as we talk about our feelings and emotions. Now doesn't that just sound fantastic?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Karen. Saw the report for the race on line, wasn't sure what pace you had been trying to set for them so at the end of the race, so have been waiting for your update to see how it all went!! Just as I guessed, perfectly!! So again well done! Looks like you could be this side of the world ofr a while!!

I saw this evening that Asafa Powell ran the 2nd fastest time ever!! Equalling the old recond! That must make the Husband happy??

So you are in Ireland then? Thought Ms O'Rouke was in UK now? Not to worry!! Tell her hard luck with the Olympics from me!! She'll srike back soon for sure!!

Anonymous said...

Shinkins In 800 Move?

SB of 53 secs for 400. Apply the 7 second rule means 53sec + 7 = 60sec x 2 = 120sec or 2:00min for an 800. Could be on and you could be the Dara Torres of London '12. Considering you are now 37 years old, you will be 41 in 2012 so the same age as Dara. Its on, Shinkins could be a mucker!!!

Shinks said...

Jer, even though my maturity levels can appear to be those of a women far older, I am in fact NOT 37. So a Dara Torres'esq experience will have to wait a couple more Oylmpics.
So my spring chicken legs will definitely get me around sub 2.00. Look out muckers everywhere.