Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ruby Falls

Yesterday saw the Shinkins clan head out to Chattanooga, Tennessee to check out the Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain. About a year ago I was watching the Foodnetwork and they were doing a show on Southern Dining where they featured the Ruby Falls. I was so impressed, that I have for the longest time wanted to go and see them for myself. And with the family over for a visit and the falls just a short 2 hour drive away, there was no reason to not take the opportunity and go.

The coolest thing about this waterfall, is that its just over 2000ft down into Lookout Mountain. They have no idea where it comes from, all they know is that its there and it flows through the mountain and eventually out into the Tennessee River.

We started off by taking an elevator ride down the first 260ft. Once out of the elevator we walked the remaining 1740ft through the most amazing cave like scenery until we reached the actual waterfall. And this thing was amazing. The fact that they have developed a very impressive light show to go along with your viewing experience, helps take your level of amazement even higher. We stayed down there for a good 30 minutes or so, just watching and enjoying and wondering about the whole thing.



The Ruby Falls, in all its glory.


Some of the changing colours we saw during the spectacular light show.


You can just make out my family right in front of the falls.


Look at the excited and impressed little faces.



Once out of the caves, we walked to the viewing station at the top of Lookout Mountain where we could enjoy views of the Tennessee river and of Tennessee itself. I realized that I've not actually been in any of the photos on the trip so far, due to the fact that I've been behind the camera much of the time. But here I am, finally.



Here Conor and I are very happy and relieved to be sitting down to some food. After a long drive and our big adventure in the caves, hunger got us.

2 comments:

Brianna said...

you want to hear something really weird...my brother looks SO MUCH like your brother. of course that is weird because i look NOTHING like you. ;) obviously he is only my half brother

Shinks said...

Ok, That is a little weird but, does you half brother have some half Irish in him???