Monday, September 8, 2008

No Rabbits Today

Well here is the update. Although Alan, your well ahead of me with the results. Your turning into a real athletics fan by the looks of things.

But turns out there was no womens 800m. There was in fact a womens 600m. Such a random distance that's rearly if ever run. But the reason it was an event at this meet, is that the Slovakian girl had requested it so she could try and run a Solvak National record for the distance. So instead of me doing any pacing, I was in this race as a competitor. From start to finish I was seeing this one out to the bitter end.

Fortunatley is was anything but bitter. I actually surprised the hell out of myself and ran really well. I knew I'd be all set for the first 400m-500m. My concern was really the final 100m. I was worried the legs would give way and I'd be struggling to stay with these very seasoned 800m types. But as it turned out, my strength and endurance was stronger than I gave myself credit for and I finished the race in second place, just behind the Slovak athlete. My time was 127.42, which is very respectable and faster than I thought I could run for that distance. Maybe I'm actually discovering a hidden talent for the longer distances.?!? Hmmmmmm?

Anyway, after zero sleep last night due to the fact that I had to be up at 4am to take a 3 hour bus drive to Vienna. Then catch a flight to Verona, Italy and then another bus ride of just over an hour to get to my final destination which is Rovereto, Italy. It's been rough going, I have to say. But I'm here now and as is usually the case in Itlay, Rovereto is just fabulous. I haven't really gone out exploring yet cos I tried to catch up on a few Zzzz's in the afternoon, but if the bus ride in is anything to go by I'm in for a real treat once I do go venture out.

But anyway, on this trip I am definintely here to pace-make the 800m. Well, that's the story today, but as we have learned, these situations have a habit of changing last second. So we'll just go with the flow.



P.S This Photo-Finish picture was kindly hunted down and brought to my attention by one of my dedicated blog readers, Alan. Fabulous work Alan, I had no idea it was out there. That's me in 2nd place.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wowww Good Job... you are so gonna run 800 next year and do a fantastic job!!!

You looking fabulous! Enjoy Italy... I wanna come and visit...

Anonymous said...

So the question is, did the Slovak girl set the national record?? I would almost assume that you have set the Irish Record for this distance?? As I can't see it in the record books!! How do u think you would go if you add the other 200m? Do you think you would be close to the 2 minute mark???

Shinks said...

Silja, come visit. It is fabulous and we will be fabulus by association.

Alan, you know I have actually no idea if she hit her Slovak Record. None of the commentary out there was in english, so I didn't know what the announcer was saying. But could possibily be an Irish Record, just like you, we weren't able to find a time for the 600m in the record books. As for running 800m, its hard to say. Think I would just need to throw the self in the deep end on that one and see how it went.

Janis said...

YAY!