Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Ready To Travel Again??

I eventually made it back to Atlanta on Monday. We had some delay issues once I got to Boston. There was a big old storm blowing through Georgia, so all flights headed that way were grounded until further notice. Further notice ended up being 2 and a half hours later. And for that whole time we were left sitting on the plane. Me and a hundred other strangers. I was ok for the first half hour, but soon after, I was over it and ready for the take off to happen. I was tired, hungry, grumpy, I was missing Husband and just wanted to be there already.
But the good news was that both myself and my bags all made it........eventually. No dramas there. So silver lining. Every situation has one, right?

Right now Husband and I have spent the past 2 days, unpacking, doing laundry and trying to repack. Husband is headed back to Europe for the last round of track meets before the season wraps up and I too am headed to Europe again. Why? Let me explain.

Remember a couple of weeks ago I mentioned briefly that I was still training? Well, the reason that I'm heading to Europe is not to just be a groupie of my Husband, but to do some pace-making. Yes, I will be out there in the competition battlefield again, but this time I'll be the rabbit for the women's 800m. My job is to take them through 600m in a certain time to ensure they run on target for a fast result. The meet organiser has told me what times he wants me to hit at the various points throughout the race and if the athletes want to run a good time, then they must sit on my pace. Such responsibility.

I'm a bit nervous to be honest, cos as we all know, traditionally I am a 400m runner. So I train only to get to the 400m finish line. Not 401m. Not 405m. Just 400m. So the endurance I've had to do to ensure I get that extra 200m out of myself has been nothing short of gruelling. And it's not just a matter of being able to do that extra 200m, it has to be done at a fast enough pace for these athletes to get the times they need, so it's been pretty intense. But I'm ready.

Right now I'm just pacing the meet in Gateshead, England on Sunday. But hoping I get the opportunity to do a couple more once I get over there. A little pace-making tour of Europe if you will. Which should be fun, if not exhausting.

4 comments:

mbc said...

Just scream at the other runners to 'stay behind and never ahead!!!' I know you are good at that! Any chance you will be in London? Martin

Shinks said...

Martin, how the hell are ya?? I'm sure I have no idea what your talking about. I was a perfect lady while we were training partners. Don't know if I'll be hitting London. But you'll be the first person I tell if I do.
Great to hear from you.

Janis said...

Wear your bunny ears!!! Good luck and have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the new picture!!! Damn!! And you say you retired!! Yeah right!!

600m, no bother to ya, sure what can that be done in these days 19 seconds? Ha ha ha!!

I agree with Martin, you should keep at it now for 2012. Its not that far away. With not being able to watch a lot of what I wanted, I didn't get a chance to see what the actual times in the 400, or 4 X 400 were, would you have medalled? Made the final? Still be running?? Ooops sorry for that last comment! Looking as fit as you do now, and those biceps in your arm wrestling from below, I better watch my comments!!! Gulp!!!

So I'll need to try and get my TV to move from the Gaa this weekend to Eurosport, think I can manage that!! I hope I can anyways...

Who are you pacemaking for? The meet, or any one in particular of the competitors in it? Are they hoping for a World record pace & r esult or track record pace & result, or just someone wants to make you run more than 400m???!!