Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Land of Fire and Ice


I am so frigging excited right now. Husband heads off to Beijing on Saturday and while initially I’d been feeling a little left out of the whole Olympic party, I actually ended up with one of the best consolation prizes ever. I’M GOING TO ICELAND.

Can you believe it?? As my dedicated blog readers know, one of my best friends is Silja, who is Icelandic. And due to the fact that she is one of the most consistent “commenters” on the blog, some might be tempted to think she was my ONLY best friend. But that is not actually the case. I have no idea why my Irish entourage of BFF’s suddenly find themselves at a loss for words when they know their comments will be out there for the world read, but that’s neither here nor there right now, cos I’M GOING TO ICELAND.

Unfortunately Silja did not end up making the Icelandic Olympic Team, but more than that, she has made one of the hardest decisions all of us athletes face in our careers and that is the decision to retire. Yes, Silja is hanging up her spikes. For all those athletes out there who ever found themselves faced with making such a decision, you know how draining, emotional, soul wrenching and depressing the whole process can be. Part of me is kind of glad I wasn’t a blogger 2 years ago, when I found myself at the same point in my own athletic career, cos there would have been some scary looking blogs going on at that time. But Silja has made her bitter/sweet decision and it wasn’t easy.

We were talking on the phone the day after she decided to retire and out of the blue Silja said, “hey, why don’t you come to Iceland while Husband is in Beijing?” After pondering the offer for a few minutes, I thought, “why not?” and immediately we were both online checking out flights. Next thing you know, I’m booked and I’m headed for Iceland. Just like that.

I can’t wait to get there. I’m excited to see my friend and even more excited about exploring her country. I was just on the National Geographic website, I know, am such a geek, but I wanted to get some idea of what I might be in for once I’m there and here is a bit of what was mentioned:


“With its extreme landscapes—thundering waterfalls, raging glacial rivers, vast sand deserts, and simmering hot springs—Iceland has long attracted the more daring travel set.”

That’s me, the “daring travel set”. I was a little thrown by the mention of “vast sand deserts”, can that be right?? Maybe Silja would like to comment. Perhaps that’s the “Fire” part of Fire and Ice description? But I always thought that was in reference to volcanos. Oh well. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Friday week I leave and honestly, it can’t come quick enough. Who needs hot, sticky, polluted Beijing when you can have active volcano’s, geysers, mineral springs, glaciers and of course, a best friend to share it with. Bring it on. All of it. I'm so ready.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now that is just very disappointing. Hard Luck Silja!! I had asked Karen if my allegiances could be partially switched from Ireland, so give you a bit of support in Bejing, but now I can't even do that!! Sulk!! Sulk!! But good to hear that you won't be lonely now Karen, I am sure you will get up to loads in Iceland, and I am sure they will have better coverage of the Olympics for you!!

I can now support Derval O'Rouke without having to split my support!!!!!!

Shinks said...

Alan, how could I forget to acknowledge you, as another one of my die hard commentators. Shame on me. Shout loud and proud for Derval.

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe, I'm grand, don't need any acknowledgement, you know I just feel priviledged enough just being able to talk to you!!!

Don't woirry I wll be shouting very very loud!! She might even here me in China from here!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Jejjj I´ve been waiting for this blog!!! Yes everything you read there is true...

I haven´t seen Iceland since I was a little girl so I´m gonna see some new stuff with you! So bring out your camera - youre gonna take sooooo many pictures!!!

I can´t wait either, my family is waiting for you too...