Monday, August 11, 2008

Catfight

Poor little Fintan has had a rough time of it lately. Last week saw yet another trip to the vet. Why? Cos he got in a catfight. For the past month or so there has been an awful bully of a cat roaming around our hood. He has tried to get into it with Fintan on 3 other occasions, but luckily I was around to step in, rescue my cat and chase the other bastard away.

However, I was working last Sunday and Husband was in charge. I had briefed him about the situation with what we think is a Stray Cat, cos he has no collar. He was told that when Fintan is outside, to keep an eye and ear out for any sign of this bully. At one point he went out to check on Fintan and saw that Stray Cat had once again shown up. The 2 cats were apparently locked into a staring competition for a while. But soon Fintan had had enough and decided to chase Stray Cat off his property. But Stray Cat was literally not going without the fight he had shown up for. So he stopped mid chase, turned around and began to chase Fintan. Fintan unfortunately did not make it to safe ground before Stray Cat rugby tackled him from behind and they got into fisty cuffs.

This situation is a huge example of how men and women think and act completely different. Husband is standing watching the whole show unfold. Things had to get pretty ugly before he stepped in and rescued Fintan. I was so mad. If it were me, things would not have got that far. I would have intervened during the staring competition. Stray Cat would have been chased away violently and Fintan would have been brought to a safe area. But no, Husband was of the opinion that Fintan needed this so he could sharpen his fighting skills and killer instincts and learn never to turn his back on his competitor. As a result of Husband's inaction, Stray Cat almost managed to take a big chunk out of Fintan’s arse. So once again, it was back to the vet for some wound cleaning and a stitching.


To add insult to injury the vet had to shave a patch of his fur so they could stitch him up. Fintan now has the shame of walking around with a chunk of his bare arse on display.
But at least he can own it. "Work it kitty".

7 comments:

Cormac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cormac said...

"and chase the other bastard away."

Ha! Your blogs get more hilarious by the day!

Poor Fintan - I can empathise with you in this case; I have two felines of the female variety who tend to attract every Tom, Dick and/or Harry of the cat world to our back garden. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of one of our cats roaring, and had to run outside and give the offending Tom Cat a size 10 foot in the rear. I wouldn't mind but both of our cats are neutered...they ain't getting any here. Now enough of the crude cat talk...

P.S I meant to ask you in your Iceland blog to work your photography magic over there if you can; I'd love to see a few pics of t5he place if you're bringin' the camera.


Cormac.

Shinks said...

Hey Cormac, what can I say? Cats are definitely a handful. And don't you worry, I have every intention of bringing my camera to Iceland. I even considered buying a new lens especially for the trip, until I realised that it was going to set me back just over $600. So maybe for my brithday or Christmas.

Janis said...

Awww poor Kitty! And oh the shame for that shaved behind!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis

I can sort of see where Paul was coming from. Trying to toughen Fintan up a bit. Can't wrap him in cotton wool the whole time.

Vet was a bit dramtic with the shaving wasn't he. Considering what looks like from the pictures a couple of stitches.

Can easily tell I am not a cat person and probably going to get killed for the comment

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I think that was your funniest blog to date!! I'm sorry to say I find the picture of Fintan with his ar$e on show, hilarious.

Caitriona

Shinks said...

Edward: Stop agreeing with Husband. Its barbaric (that's a real word, right?? I didn't just make it up?).

Caitriona: Shame on you for laughing at my kitty's misfortune. P.S I will be e-mailing you later. I know your excited.