Friday, August 1, 2008

I'm Married Again

Husband is back in town, yippee. It’s been 3 weeks since we’ve been in the same space together and before that, you may remember, I was in Ireland for 3 weeks, while he was at the US Olympic Trials. Once we both got back to Atlanta, we saw each other for about 3 or 4 days before he took off again. So that’s how much we seen of each other in the last 6 weeks, 3 or 4 days. So when he rolled up yesterday, it felt like some sort of reintroduction was necessary; “Hi, my name is Karen and you must beeeeee????, Oh that’s right, your my husband. How have you been?

But now he’s back and all mine for the next 9 days, sort of, before he heads off to the Olympics in Beijing. I say he’s “sort of” mine cos while he’s actually present in body, he is not in mind. These 9 days before his Olympic departure will have him mostly stuck up in his office dealing with athlete logistics, negotiating contracts, mapping out racing schedules and discussing appearance fees for those still competing after the Games, as well as last minute drama’s and panic attacks from some of his more higher maintenance clients. So not a lot of opportunities for date night.

Now I also have the challenge of surrendering my single behavior ways which I slip back into during his absence and learn to function as a couple again. But then in 9 days time, I must unlearn to function as a couple and slot back into flying solo. It’s all very confusing and yo-yo like and to a more mentally stable person, this kind of routine could just wreck your head. Luckily I am not very mentally stable so the imbalance throws me off for a while, but does not cripple me. There's a lot to be said for being "special".

No comments: