Thursday, August 21, 2008

Reykjavik

Yesterday we took a bit of a chill day. In the morning we watched the Olympics, then we spent the afternoon strolling the streets of Iceland's capital, Reykjavik.
These pictures of the city were taken from a viewing station above the city. The top of the viewing station has a revolving cafe, allowing you to see all angles of the city while sipping a latte. Unfortunately yesterday, they turned off the revolver, so we had to use our legs and walk around.

This is a huge sculpture of some long limbed, faceless people. It was a bit scary to be honest. Glad we weren't there at night.


A side street in downtown Reykjavik which lead down to the water.



While grazing through a book store, Silja and I found this book "Olympics for Beginners".



What a revelation. With the knowledge acquired from this book, we are both now ready to step out of retirement and get ready for London in 2012.



Next we checked out the photography studio of Ari Sigvaldason. He is a local photographer that specializes in black and white photos and get this, he does NOT use digital. His work is done completely on old school film. Can you imagine how hard this is? Not knowing if you've nailed the shot until you've printed it? And at that stage the moment you were photographing is gone. So much pressure. I couldn't handle it. I absolutely need to check my little display screen to see how good or bad my picture is looking.



But Ari was really sweet and patient, especially when I was annoying him with a billion questions about his work. He even signed a copy of his latest book for me.


After a long day spent in the city, we came home to find Vignir, Silja's husband, cooking up a storm in the kitchen. On the menu that night, quesilldias and they were yummmmy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Karen and Silja!! Remember me? It's been ages! Paul gave me your blog - I love love love it!! Looks like your trip to Iceland is amazing - I'm so jealous! I'll see you in Vegas in October (I assume) and I'm so excited. You girls have fun and I can't wait to catch up!!
-Andria King

Shinks said...

Andria King. What a fantastic surprise. How have you been?? Yes, will see you in Vegas in October. Can't wait to catch up.