Sunday, August 24, 2008

Last Day

Today was my last day in Iceland. BoooooHooooo. But luckily I was around for Saturday nights big culture festival, which Iceland holds annually, celebrating 1. Reykjavik's birthday and 2. the end of summer. And as with most celebrations, the city had a big fireworks display, so we drove down to the docks, parked, then got a good spot on the rocks, right next to the water where we hung out with hundreds of other people waiting for the show to begin.


While we waited, we got a little snap happy with the camera. The romance of the whole situation brought Silja and I closer together, cough, cough.

Then it brought Silja and Vignir closer together. Fireworks is obviously the key to happy relationships.

This is me being very serious about the whole situation.


And here, finally, the fireworks. Just in case your wondering, that is not the head and ear of some random stranger. That is the head and ear of Vignir.



After the fireworks it was off to taste the night life of Reykjavik. While in one bar Vignir and I got into a discussion about our upper body strength. I tried to convince him that I was stronger than I looked, but he wasn't buying it, so we ended up having to solve it with an arm wrestling competition.


Clearly I was struggling slightly as I had to break all the rules and bring in my left arm for some muscular back up.


But it got the job done. And I was crowned the winner.



Silja and Vignir try to steal a special moment at the club. Luckily I was there to capture it. Your so welcome guys.



Sunday was officially my last day, so we spent a couple of hours driving out into the country to try and get some final pictures of the amazing scenery. Unfortunately the weather was really nasty. It was raining so hard and the wind was enough to cut you in two, but it made for some fabulous angry looking sky's and quite an aggressive landscape.



Believe it our not, these are all dead fish. This is a technique they use here to dry them out. Rows and rows of wooden posts are spread out across a large area and the fish just hang there for weeks until they are fully dry. Looking around and seeing all the fish faces frozen with open mouths and wide eyes was very eery. And the smell was not great either.


I think you can make out a couple of heads and eyes in this picture.


This is me on top of a huge lava rock, trying my best to not get blown off. See what I meant about the angry sky?

Vignir does his best Master of the Universe impersonation.


The rain stopped for a few minutes and this little rainbow popped out. We thought our luck was changing and the day was about to take a turn for the better. But we were wrong.


The longest and straightest road in Iceland. So glad we weren't walking it.
And that, my friends, was my last day here in Iceland. Right now I've just finished packing and am trying to not feel too sad about saying goodbye tomorrow morning. I've had such a great time here with Silja and Vignir. Both of them could not have been nicer or more accommodating about making my trip here the best that it could have been. The 8 days just went way too fast. I'm so sad it's over. But hopefully it won't be too long before we make the effort to see each other again. Either in the US or back here in the land of Ice.
Thanks a million lads, for everything. I'll miss you both.

2 comments:

Silja said...

COME BACK!

Anonymous said...

Yes me and Silja are not used to beeing alone together ;)

By the way... you must be proud of this Irish olympian

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JmpkIMgnzIE/SKCraMVjJ1I/AAAAAAAAKQ0/WQbMYXS-ba4/s1600-h/1.jpg