Friday, August 8, 2008

Let The Games Begin


The 2008 Beijing Olympic Games is officially OPEN. Here is the US we are 12hrs behind China and I knew the ceremony began at 8pm (China time) so that meant 8am (US time). I got up at the crack of dawn to get my training session done (if your wondering why I’m still training, I’ll fill you in a little later, but I do have a good reason) so I could be back at the house to watch the show unfold.

But alas, showing it live so early in the morning was too “inconvenient” for the powers that be here in the US, so they will air a pre-recorded version at 8pm tonight. I was so pissed, especially since I was getting text messages from friends back in Ireland asking if I was watching. How come Europe has no problem showing it live?? Hmmmm???


Anyway, I know my attitude it a bit unsportsmanly but I just love watching the Opening Ceremonies. Even when I was a little girl, I would sit staring at the TV with an open mouth watching, waiting to see the Irish flag being marched into the stadium and all the Irish athletes from the various sports in tow. “There we are, there we are” I would shout out proudly to my mam and dad as I pointed over enthusiastically at the screen and waited for them to confirm that they were seeing it too. At that age I just hoped and wished that someday I too would have the honor of walking behind my flag at the Opening Ceremony of an Olympic Games.

Then in 2000, my moment came. I was at the Olympics. I remember the excitement and the nerves and the anticipation of waiting, waiting, waiting outside the Stadium in Sydney, for our turn to walk. It felt like hours and actually, I think it was. But it was worth every second. It was like nothing I ever experienced or felt before. So completely overwhelming. Seeing that packed out stadium, spotting Irish flags being waved frantically throughout the crowd. Hearing people shout out your country and your name. Getting text message from family and friends back home telling you that they saw you on TV and you looked great. It’s huge. In that moment it makes all the years of struggle and sacrifice, lactic, sweat and tears both on the training track and the competition arena, worth it. So very worth it.

That’s part of the reason I love to watch the opening ceremonies, cos I just know how exciting it is for all those athletes who have finally realized their dream of making an Olympics. They have reached the pinnacle of achievement in their sport and nothing can top that.
So best of luck to all my friends flying the flag for Ireland in Beijing. Especially my best friend Derval O’ Rourke who will be running the 100m hurdles Sunday week. I'll be watching, from Iceland, and I'll be cheering

Derval in Action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COME ON DERVAL!!!!!!