Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bowl Hangover



I know the Super Bowl is of very little interest to most of the people in Ireland but over here, it’s a huge deal. But bigger than that, it’s a huge deal in our home. As we all know it’s was New York Giants vs. the New England Patriots. The Patriots is Husbands team and for anyone who doesn’t know, they got spanked. It was a nightmare. My face was in a pillow for most of the game. I could barely watch the sadness unfold.

At one point it felt like a joke, a dream, some sort of out of body experience. There is no way it could be happening, the team had not been beaten all season. They played 18 games to get to the Super Bowl and won them all. They were the favorites. It wasn’t supposed to end like this. But it did and Husband has not been himself since. The whole room went silent as the clock counted down the last 8 seconds. As the saying goes, “you could hear a pin drop”. Blank stares and open mouths were all around. It was too much for Husband, he didn’t know where to go or what to do, so he just got up and went outside slamming the door behind him.

I was paralyzed on the couch. What the hell was my next move? Do I go after him or do I give him his man space? It was a tough call. I opted for giving the man space. I heard him come back in and I wondered if I dare go near him. I gave him another minute and ever so quietly I tiptoed into the room and asked in my kindest, non-threatening, non-confrontational voice, if everything he was ok? All I got was an aggressive “No”. I slowly walked towards him, so as not to scare him, we all know what an angry animal can do if startled and I tried my best to find the right words to say and the right thing to do, but I was lost. There was nothing to say, there was nothing to do. I just had to let the pain settle in and wait for the healing to start.

Today, Husband had to take a personal day. He was just too sad to go on with normal life. And I tried to keep conversation to a minimum, especially conversation about house things, financial things, emotions, shopping, shoes, feelings, basically anything and everything was off the table. I’m hoping each day it will get a little better and the depression will begin to lift, other than that, its Egg Shell City for Shinks for the next while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I saw the results - I thought about sending Paul a text - but I quickly realised that it wouldn´t be funny at all...
Hope yall are doing better now!
I´ll be home a lot this week and have my skype turned on...