Thursday, February 14, 2008

Oh God, Is it Valentines Day??


Ok, so its Valentines Day, I suppose I can’t really ignore it. The red and pink is truly everywhere. But am not sure on the protocol here. Do we wish everyone a “Happy Valentines Day” or is it something that is kept and only said to the object of your desire and affection? For me it’s always been something that you celebrated with your significant other or in the absence of a significant other, it was an opportunity to let someone know you very much wanted them as a significant other.
But the confusion has come as a result of receiving many text messages today from friends wishing me a “Happy Valentines” and also throughout my daily interactions people have been saying “Happy Valentines Day” instead of the standard “Have a Great Day”. Which if your the type of person who is starved of a bit of love and affection and has been down on your luck scoring wise, then this can lead you into some sort of false sense of fabulousness, by having you think, “Oh my god, everyone loves me. I must look hotter than I thought just going about my daily life in nothing but a jeans and t-shirt”.

But I digress from the real question, what am I doing for Valentines? Well, MY significant other and I have decided to spend some quality time………………..apart. Lord knows we get very little of that (some underlying sarcasm there for those of you who may have missed it).
Yes, Husband has gone to Australia, the land down under if you will, for 10 days. He has a group of athletes competing there in a series of meets.

And you wouldn’t be wrong in thinking he must have taken care of business before he left, right? Maybe a flower or 2, a hidden gift, some little notes of endearment. Well think again. I got sweet F.A (for those of you unfamiliar with the phrase, it means Sweet F#*k All).

Message to Husband:
“Just cos your out of the country on Valentines Day, it does not mean your Valentines responsibilities are null and void. Quite the opposite actually. You are expected to make a better effort BECAUSE we are NOT together on this SPECIAL day. If you are not careful, you will return to a house null and void of not just me, but Fintan and Bruschi also. Now you have yourself a great day, hooneey”.
Public Service Anncouncement (The above message is loaded with aggression)

4 comments:

Brianna said...

That husband of yours deserves a good smacking.

Silja said...

Smmmmaaaaaack! ****

Anonymous said...

Dear Shinks (and Doyler)
I feel as one of your best friends (perhaps even your main best friend) I am in a good position to make a comment on this situation. Not on Doyler just not on. Tut tut tut tut. Shinks is very popular in our homeland and many many men would make her their valentine. As someone who has spent some time in a bath with Shinks I know intimately how special she is.
Ok I must go now but to finish I would like to say one more time tut tut tut tut tut tut.....
Scratcher
PS even the tinman stepped up and made the effort.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Ed here (Karen's bro). Be a brave man that would mess with you sis.

I am sure Paul will never forget again.

In defence of my brother in law and groomsman, I am sure it was an honest mistake