Friday, February 1, 2008

Thou Shalt Not Bitch


So I’m Catholic. Not really a surprise, most of us Irish are, but I am not a big time practicing Catholic. By big time I mean, I do not attendant Sunday mass regularly and please, no judgment, I already feel guilty, us Catholics do guilt very well, no help needed there. But my absence from mass, does not mean an absence from religion. I was raised by strict catholic guidelines and so they are well woven into my DNA and I do my human best to live by the lessons learned.

So that brings us to the topic of Lent. Lent is the 40 day build up to Easter and during this time we make the decision to give up something for the 40 days. It use to be tradition to fast (go hungry) for 40 days but now, thankfully, the rules have been laxed and we just give up something, e.g chocolate, carbs or what ever you choose for the 40 days.

Now even though I’m not big time, I think Lent is a good opportunity to do a little soul searching and find ways to improve one’s self. In previous years I’ve tried to give up either swearing or chocolate. Failing every time. So this year, instead of doing my half effort, run of the mill old reliable’s, I decided to do a bit of a self-evaluation and come up with something a little deeper. So this year I’m going to make a stab at bitching. That would be, to NOT bitch.

I am not allowed to sit and bend the ears of those near and dear to me for hours on end about what someone said, didn’t say, how they pissed me off, how I pissed someone else off etc.. you get the idea. But since I am human and a women and as a women we have a big need to talk out our frustrations and emotions I am allowed to:

1. Pick one person to discuss a situation with. The discussion must end with a decision and then, that’s the end of it. I am not allowed to talk it out with countless others, cos if I’m honest the pay off for that is probably me just looking for more sympathy, support, approval, or for someone else to volunteer to make it all better, thus avoiding having to make the hard calls or tough decisions.

2. I can write it down. I can bitch to my hearts content on paper. Let it all out and leave it right there. So I’ll be purchasing a little Lenten Bitching Book and plan to fill it full of all venomous ranting. The only fear here, is someone might find my little book and not knowing the purpose of my exercise may interpret me as some sort of psycho. O.k., maybe this one needs a little more thought.

I have until Wednesday to finalize the details, but I think this Lenten challenge will be a challenge, I mean, who doesn’t love a good bitch every now and then?

No comments: