Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Products Whore


Today I was going to blog about how much of a products whore I am. How my side of our bathroom is full of bottles, jars and potions in all shapes and sizes. How I am now in that demographic of women that if I’m promised something will reverse the signs of aging, reduce or even eliminate fine lines and wrinkles, will minimize pores, plump, suck, smack, pull or regenerate, then I’m all over it. But I changed my mind cos something much more important is happening in the news over here.

Yesterday was “Super Tuesday” and even though you may be tempted to think this has anything to do with the “Super Bowl”, it hasn’t. They could not be more different. Super Tuesday is held around February or March of a presidential election year, where a large number of States, 24 this time, vote on who they would want to see as the next president of the United States. The results help all parties involved decide on who their official nominee will be for the presidency.

Now since I am not a citizen of the US, I am merely a Green Card holder, I have no vote. But I can’t help playing the game, “if I did have a vote, who would I vote for?” So, who would I vote for? I have no idea. I feel like I am at a disadvantage. I was not born or raised here, so I have no affiliation or loyality to any party through family members etc.. I am at present trying to educate myself about Republicans, Democrats and Liberals and what each one stands for. It’s not easy. A lot of the media is either one way or another so trying to find an objective opinion is damn near impossible. Every radio, tv show or newspaper is riddled with their own agenda.

Then there is the potential history-making situation the US is faced with in this election. Will it have its first Female President or will it have its first Black President? The impact of this is not lost on me. But just cos a candidate is female and so am I, is that enough of a reason to vote for Hillary? Or cos I sympathize with the struggle of the black people of this country, is that a good enough reason to vote for Barack? And what about John McCain, he is neither black nor female, so do we eliminate him cos he is a white man and we have seen plenty of white men in the Oval Office before?

Obviously the answer to the above should be “No, we vote for the person we think can do the best job for the people.” But based on what I’m reading and seeing in the media, my feeling is that this is exactly how some people are going about choosing their President. And I've noticed that asking someone who they plan on voting for is as risky and dangerous as asking a women to tell you her weight. But like I said, I have no say here, I am merely a spectator and admittedly an uneducated one as far as US politics goes. So fear not those of you concerned that the faith of your country lies in the hands of someone like me.
I can’t even choose a party to follow. My problem is I like certain things about Republicans and certain things about Democrats and Liberals, but not enough about any of them to commit. Nothing new there, I’ve always been a little scratchy when it came to commitment.

So there is the long explanation to my very short question of “Who would I vote for?” And still no answer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oki I´m gonna keep on being the person who always leaves comment...

I have Fox news here in Iceland and my friends are always making fun of me because I´m hooked! I´ve been wondering who I would vote for if I could...
I´m leanin on Hillary, but then there is something about Obama that makes him believable...

Who is The Husband gonna vote for?

And shinks... you can answer my comments on your own website... lol

Shinks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shinks said...

Wow, am such an airhead. I was "answering your comment on MY website" just like you demanded, but then went ahead and deleted it. Its been a long day, cut me some slack.
As far as Husband goes, honestly I think the candidate who drives the oldest pick-up, who loves to snowboard when they are not flying their plane, who lives and dies by the score of a Red Sox or Patriots game and a great ass would never hurt either.

Anonymous said...

hehe u too funny!