Monday, February 11, 2008

Rough Weekend


I’m alive. I survived the wisdom tooth extraction, but I have to say it was very rough going. The first 24 hours post extraction was absolutely miserable. My face felt like it had ballooned beyond recognition, although Husband assured me it looked fine, me thinks he was just being kind. I continued to bleed for a good while afterwards and the pain killers they gave me did nothing but make me throw up, leaving me with no choice but to abandon them and just tough the whole experience out. I swear the only thing getting me through was the anesthetic pulsing through my veins which kept forcing me in and out of conscious all day and night. But I’m getting there. I’m not yet pain free and I’m still eating baby type food, but I’m functioning.

I also had a very near death experience, totally unrelated to my teeth this past weekend. Husband is in the process of trying to get his pilot license and so yesterday, cos it was clear and sunny. He decided it would be a good opportunity to do some flying. And after spending 2 days going from the bed to the couch, I was now ready to partake in some real world activities. We decided to fly to Clemson, South Carolina, about a 50-minute flight to see a friend, hang out for a few hours and fly back.

Everything was going fine until we got airborne. Visibility was great, but the wind was not. We were flying along happily, then suddenly we would get tossed upwards and dropped downwards. It was crazy. Now I am not a nervous flyer most of the time, but I totally white knuckled this one. Bare in mind too, we are in a small 4 seater plane, not your average, solid, steel, 747 type beast, so we are feeling everything. It continued for most of the flight, just hitting all these air bumps and turbulence, but the worst was still to come.

As we were getting closer to our destination, Clemson, the wind was just getting stronger. We were getting pushed, pulled and thrown around. It was awful. I was nauseous, nervous and absolutely terrified. The Pilot/Husband was trying his best to line us up for our approach but the plane just kept getting pushed off course. At this stage I am internally freaking out. The tears are welling up in my eyes and I’m convinced this is not going to end well. But I’m doing my best to not make a sound. I’m trying to let Pilot/Husband focus on everything he needs to do to get us out of this alive. I’m sure a wailing, panicked, crying wife would not help him one little bit.

But we’re closing in on the runway and still can’t get it lined up. By now, I am in crash position. My head is well and truly between me legs and I’m wanting one of two things. Preferably to just get out of this alive, but that not being an option, I want it to end fast and as pain free as possible. It feels like I’m in crash position for way too long. I’m too scared to peek up, cos I just don’t want to see death coming. But the not knowing how much longer I have to endure this tossing around gets too much, so I look out. All I can see is the runway, less than 100ft away and us being blown off to the left, as the planes right wing is being forced downwards. We are practically on our side. Pilot/Husband gets it straight for a second, but again, the wind throws us a curve ball. We are feet from the runway, we are not centered and we are still on our side. A crash is about to happen, I can feel it.
I reassume crash position and brace for impact. Impact finally happens. I think I remember the right side hitting first, then something that felt like a bounce, then and even thud. By even, I mean both wheels hitting the runway. Pilot/Husband brakes and gets us in control and starts the taxi off the runway. At this point I’m crying, no joke, the relief to be down safely is too much. We get the plane parked and I try to jump out, but the wind is blowing so strong I can hardly push the door open. But I’m not staying in this plane one second longer, so I get my ass out of there and head towards the pilot lounge. It feels like I have to rugby tackle the wind just to walk the 80 or so yards. My head is down, shoulders up and I’m leaning forward like I’m about to do a resistance run. This f*#king wind man.

Be we are alive. And the one thing I discovered, well, 2 actually. 1. I have the ability to remain very together in the throws of a crisis and 2. Husband is an excellent pilot. I don’t know how he did what he did to get that plane landed, but I’m very grateful for it.

1 comment:

Brianna said...

crazy...the medicine made me naseous too!!

you have now confirmed for me that i will never fly in one of those small planes EVER. how utterly terrifying!