Sunday, October 18, 2009

Marian & Rob Are Married


Last weekend I had the absolute honor and pleasure of shooting the wedding of 2 fellow Irish athletes, Rob and Marian. Before I talk about these two wonderful people as a couple, I want to first mention how I know then individually. Rob and I have been on the Irish track team for longer than I care to admit. He is a competitor in the 20 km walk and has had great success at European, World and Olympic level. As for Marian, well we met last year for the first time. If you've followed my blog for a while, you'll remember last summer I stepped out of athletic retirement in an effort to help Ireland qualify a women's 4 x 400m relay team for the Olympics. Well, we didn't end up making the Olympics but I did make a great and amazing new friend, Marian. Marian was part of the team and although we had never met before our first race together in Italy, we just seemed to hit it off. She is an amazing athlete. She has power and she has speed, but best of all she has determination and balls. This girl will run you over for a short cut when she's on the track. She means business and I loved it.

The morning of the wedding I sat with Marian, snapping photos as she was getting her hair and make-up done. I asked her to fill me in on how she and Rob met. 14 years, yes 14 years they've known each other. For the first 10 they were friends and for the final 4, they were a couple. How awesome is that? These two click on every level, they are disciplined, driven, focused and committed not just to their careers but to each other and they're also the funniest couple you'll ever met, natural and authentic, what you see is what you get and that's what makes them so great and a blast to be around.

The other thing that makes them awesome, is the fact that they asked me to be the photographer for they're wedding. This was an amazing, not to mention brave request by both of them. Knowing that I'm a newbie and still finding my feet, they didn't hesitate in asking me to capture their day and I was so grateful for their trust and confidence.

Marian and Rob, thank you so much for allowing me to document your special day. I loved every minute of it. I'm only sorry you didn't need me to document your honeymoon too, Jamaica sounds like just the ticket right about now. Hope you both had a blast.

I've posted a few photos here, but to see a ton more, click the link at the very bottom.


Marian's son Cathal was the ring-barer.







Cool car.



Marian you look fierce, fierce and fierce here. You too Rob.



In the tree, Marian's son Cathal and the adoreable little princess to his left is Rob's daughter Megan.





Click "HERE" to see tons more photos (HINT: when viewing the slideshow you can choose the speed in the upper left-hand corner. I recommend clicking "Fast", cos its, well, faster)





4 comments:

Derval O'Rourke said...

Shinks, LOVING the photo's. You did a super job! I was a tiny bit worried when you were kinda like yeah I think the photos are ok but they are really great. Well done you. You should be very proud. I cant even pick a favourite because I have about 20 favourites.
Scratcher
xxxxx

Shinkins said...

Scratcher, your the best roomie EVER. Thanks. And thanks a million for being the best assistant on the day. Your mom too. Dr. Eva and yourself really helped me hold it down.
Since I'm in a generous mood and dishing out the "Thank You's" I have to thank my brother, Edward for rescuing me from the the pits of an emotional breakdown when my camera and computer couldn't figure out a way to be friends. He made it happen. Genius.

Edward said...

No bother at all Sis, was just glad I was able to help. The pictures look great, you are certainly a natural at the photography

robert heffernan said...

hey karen rob and marian here, on our honeymoon and just looked at the pics, we are so happy we got you for the wedding ,
you did a brilliant job and we are thrilled to bits with the photos. thanks so much for everything ( and u 2 derv)sorry we never got to talk after it was crazy.