Monday, August 31, 2009

Final Destination

Shinks almost reached her final destination this weekend. No joke. And I'm not talking no movie, this was real life.

I was driving home from dinner with some friends yesterday evening, along a road that is surrounded each side by lush and lovely trees. A forrest if you will, and I'm just driving and talking and singing along to Lady Gaga. Then suddenly, with zero warning and in a matter of nano seconds, less than 100 yards ahead, a tree just collapses, right across the road. A big tree, complete with truck, branches, leaves and I'm sure the odd nest or 2, falls as if out of the sky, right across the road. 

I swear to you, my heart skipped a beat. Luckily I wasn't going fast. I was in Sunday driver mode, so I was able to break and slow down with good time. But once stopped I sat there for a good minute or 2 in utter disbelief. That tree could easily have fallen on me. No joke. If I had to do anything that day even a fraction different. If I had not gone to the restroom before leaving the restaurant. If I had taken a gamble and powered through the amber light (which is not unheard of for me.....oopsie), me and my car would have been completely crushed. Shinks would have become a weekend road carnage statistic.

But on the upside, I didn't. I missed my final destination connection, or on a less dramatic note, I missed having to make the call to Husband telling him that I'd killed or injured yet another car. My reputation as far as cars go, hasn't been great. But I assure you, in each and every case, I was the victim. Simply put, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Could happen to anyone, right?? 

3 comments:

Edward said...

Coincidence or no that the latest 'Final Destination' film is in the cinema. Leave it to you to decide

Silja said...

so what GaGa song were you singing?

Shinks said...

Edward: I know, and it tried to get me this past weekend. Rude

Silja: Girl, I almost died. Why you focusing on the important stuff?? It was "Disco Stick" or some crap like that. It has me worn out. You know the way they play the same 10-15 songs over here in rotation for 6 months or something. I'm about ready to hurt Lady Gaga in her "Poker Face" with a "Disco Stick"