Thursday, March 6, 2008

Hola Hembras


I’m in Spain. Valencia to be more precise. Husband and I have traveled here for the World Indoor Championships (in Track & Field). So exciting. I’ve been to Valencia before, in fact, this is where I started off my career as a professional athlete back in 1998. The European Indoor’s were held here that year and I ran the 400m, for Ireland obviously. Oh, the memories. But I didn’t get to do much of the tourist thing back then, it was all business and I’m not too sure I’ll get to do much of it now either. I have a lot of friends competing , so I’m going to be up to my eyes with cheer leading duties.

Anyway, I’ve literally just arrived at our hotel and I’m so tired. It feels like I’ve been traveling for 56 hours. In reality it’s probably been about 16, but when your head is foggy from jet-lag, every little thing feels more dramatic then it needs to be.
I have to say I don’t enjoy flying. I love being in new and not so new places, but the actual flying? Hate it. Its not that I’m scared, it’s just that I hate to be stuck in a tiny seat for all those hours with lord knows what type of random character showing up in the seats next to you and around you. And all that recycled air. That really bothers me. Especially when I hear someone sneezing or coughing. The very thought that those airborne germs are now going to get recycled and re-pumped right back at me for the next however many hours, makes me just want to reach for my SARS mask. I can only hope my immune system is up to par.
Also I’m one of those people that doesn’t sleep on flights. I wouldn’t say I get zero sleep, but 10 minutes here and there to me, is not sleeping. In those rare minutes I do get to pop off, I’m a real twitcher and jumper. Yes, I am that person next to you who suddenly jolts around like they’ve just been poked with a cattle prod. Its pure embarrassment and I regularly try to play it off like I suddenly got a cramp and needed to quickly adjust my position. I know nobody’s buying it, but it helps ease my shame a little.

I’m going to wrap it up. My eyes are heavy and my brain is going to that weird silly place it likes to go to when I’m sleep deprived. You know where your own body starts to feel way too heavy, you say and laugh at the stupidest things and your so messed up you don’t know if your tired, hungry, happy or sad? But recoverd or not, I will step up and do my best to have a blast this weekend.

(A trip down memory lane. Me in the blocks at a race in Prague, Czech Republic, 2004. I couldn't find one from Valenica 1998, but I'll keep looking.)



2 comments:

Jackie E. said...

Hey Karen...nice abs:) I just read the post above too about you finding your way "home" and I just found myself completely being able to picture the entire scenario and chuckling just a bit...sorry!! I swear, I think you should be a writer or columnist somewhere, somehow. Everyone should be able to enjoy your take on all things. It really is priceless!

Shinks said...

Girl, you know I had to pick the one with the nice abs. No point hiding all that hard work, right?