Friday, December 18, 2009

Room For One More


I wanted to write a creative, witty intro. A verbal drumroll if you will. Something that would've had you on the edge of your seat, waiting, reading, wondering what in the world I was going to come out with next, but alas, the creative juices are not flowing tonight, so I think I'm just gonna have to come right out and say it.

Today, well yesterday really, Husband and I welcomed the arrival of Dexter Bruin Shinkins-Doyle to our family. Yes, we got a dog. No, it was not planned. Well, not planned to happen yesterday, but we had talked about getting a dog eventually. How can you live on 12 acres and not at the least get a dog? It would be a sin of some sort somewhere to not let someone, other than ourselves enjoy it. So yesterday was the day. Husband text me early in the morning telling me he was at the animal shelter. Straight away I knew we were in trouble. If you've ever been to one of these shelters you know how heart wrenching and emotional it can be seeing all these abandoned dogs and kitty's. Unless you have a heart of stone, which contrary to popular belief, I don't, there is no way you are leaving without something. So all day at work, I prepared myself for the fact that we would be getting a dog that very day. And we did.

Dexter is almost a year old. He's an Australian Collie with a dash of something else and when I tell you he is hyper, he is HY-PER. Jumping, licking, running and basically energy for days. We really have our work cut out for us in training this little fella and I can tell you right now, I'm not going to be an excellent trainer. When Husband started talking about snap-collars and hitting on noses, I almost cried. I am completely incapable of dishing out harsh training tactics. Husband is going to have step up and be the bad guy here.


Little Dexter Bruin Shinkins-Doyle





I'll tell you who's not impressed with the new addition, little Fintan Alabaster Shinkins-Doyle. So far we've managed to keep them separated. Supervised visits on opposite sides of the window is as close as they've gotten for now. Dexter resides in the laundry room or barn until we can figure out the best way for them to co-habit, peacefully.




3 comments:

Silja said...

wooowww I´m loving Dexter - congratz!!!

Shinks said...

Thanks girl, Dexter is a handful right now, but we're all adjusting.

McHugh said...

congrats on your new addition! Love his coloring (im predjudiced to it since my dogs both have the same colors :) ) If you need any advice re: training id be happy to attempt to help. Im no expert but i did raise and train (since we ALWAYS had a baby in the house the training part was a HUGE neccisity)3 dogs from puppyhood :)