Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Carry-On Challenge

It’s a long weekend here in the US, so I decided to take advantage of the extra days off work by popping back to Ireland to see my family and re-connect with my Irish peeps. I leave today after work and I’m so friggin excited.

But my trip is not without one minor challenge and that would be a 1 hour connection in Philadelphia. Yes, I fly from Atlanta to Philly, then Philly to Dublin and I have just 1 hour to disembark, locate and run like the blazes to the plane that will take me all the way to Dublin. It’s going to be tight, no doubt about that. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING needs to run absolutely on schedule, or better yet, ahead of schedule for all this to happen, especially on that Atlanta to Philly flight. Every second is going to be crucial, so packing light was an absolute must. And even though I travel a lot, packing light has never been my thing. I’m a serial over packer, always have been. Tons of “what if” shoes, dresses, tops and jeans. In my opinion, you just never know what last minute invitations may come your way, you need to be ready.

But the over packing thing, not a good idea for this trip. If I’m going to struggle to make the connection, then a checked bag, has zero chance. So my challenge last night was to get 5 days worth of clothes and shoes along with necessities like my lap-top, camera and it various pieces of equipment into 1 suitcase big enough to take all the above but small enough to fit in the overhead compartment of the plane. No easy. I do have a backpack to help with the situation, but all in all, quite the challenge.

But I’m happy to report that it did happen. I made it work. My life for the next 5 days, is now very tightly packed in a mini suitcase and backpack. How proud am I? Very. So right now I have managed to do, all that I can do, to increase my chances of making this Philly connection. All I need now is for the people of United Airlines, Atlanta and Philadelphia airports to do the same and all will be well. Wish me luck. If I had a
Twitter, I could update y’all on the situation as its happening, but am still on the fence with the whole world of Twitter. So until then we'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Silja said...

whaaaat youre back in Ireland...
so when are you coming to ICEland?

did you get your ticket to here?

have fun in Ireland! I know you´ll take pictures of the little Irish guy ;) can´t wait to see how big he is now!

Shinks said...

Welcome back to the blog Sil. This is the weekend I wanted to come see you in Iceland, remember, but you said later = better, so I decided to come to Ireland to check up on my brother's parenting skills! Happy to report, he's doing really well. Baby is growing big and strong.