Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Universe Tried To Tell Me

I got a Blackberry back in March and even though it took me a while, I did learn most of its functions and tricks and as a result I got comfortable, then addicted to it. Plus it has this feature called Blackberry Messenger where everyone who has Blackberry gets a PIN and this allows you to chat with each other, all over the world, for free. It’s excellent.

However, once you travel outside the US, you are required to insert a SIM card so that the B’Berry can function in all other countries. Now, when Husband initially came home with my B’Berry he told me it was all set up and ready to go, I just had to put in my personal settings, set up my messenger and e-mail and I was good. It would work wherever I traveled, as long as I had the SIM. I remember asking if I had to purchase a SIM and he told me no, it was in there and all ready to go. You can see where I’m going with this right??

So I leave Atlanta yesterday and landed in Paris where I was getting a connecting flight to Italy. I turned on my B’Berry so I could message Husband, who was in Sweden but has since moved on to Oslo, Norway, I think. See, this is why we need our B’Berries, so we can keep up with each other’s lives. Anyway, once I turn it on it said, “Please insert SIM Card”. What are you talking about B’Berry?? You have a SIM. You had one in you when you first arrived in my home. So I ignore the message and try sending a message to Husband, but to no avail. It keeps telling me to “Insert SIM”. So now, a million miles from home I decided to open it up and see if there is in fact a SIM in the back of it and wouldn’t you know, there isn’t. Son of a b*#ch. I’m angry with my B’Berry. What am I suppose to do now?? What did I do and how did I live before I had one? It's hard to remember really.

But the funny thing is, once I discovered the lack of SIM, my brain immediately pans back to various warnings and signs the universe tried to send me before I left. For example, as I’m packing up my charger I had the thought, “oh, the B’Berry needs a SIM to work outside the US, but it has it, so I’m all set”.
Then, as I was filing away some documents, I saw the bag of accessories that had come with B’Berry, car chargers, covers and all that good stuff and I thought, “I wonder do I need any of this stuff?” My answer was again, no, I’m all set.
Even at the airport I was paying for a bottle of water and a King Size Kit-Kat and there next to the register was a little stack of International SIM Cards for sale. And while I waited at the gate to board my plane I was messaging with Husband and he was telling me how to set the B’Berry to Global once I got to Europe. I remember mentioning the SIM and that I was fine cos I had one, right? Wrong.

So either it is sitting on my shelf back in Atlanta with all the other accessories or they (the phone store) never gave me one to start with. But I can’t say the signs were not there. The universe was screaming it at me, I just didn’t listen. So I only have myself to blame for the present situation.

But now I’m in B’Berry cold turkey. It’s awful. I feel like I’ve lost a limb and even though I’m only here till Sunday, without my B’Berry, it’s going to be a long week.



3 comments:

DOC said...

Hope you survived without the B'berry.Been searching all over the place trying to find out how ye got on last night but failing.How I found your delightful musings though.Was hoping to get in touch Sunday but I see there you're heading home.I'll have to give TJ and Christine a call. Anyway, I'm delighted to see ya back,and hopefully with Joanne back in a few weeks ye'll run really fast. Good Luck,
Daragh Ó Conchúir

Shinks said...

Hey Daragh,
What a nice surprise to see a comment from you on my blog. Hope all is good with you and that my last post saved you doing any more seaching for results. I'll be back in Ireland soon, so looking forward to catching up.

DOC said...

Ah ye did brilliantly Karen.Great boost I'd say after effort to get back.I'll keep an eye on this now and get in touch when ya land here.Keep it up!