Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Results, Results

Apologies for the late update. I just landed back in Ireland from Portugal yesterday and was too tired to blog.

But lets get to the real news. We won the relay. That’s the excellent news. However, the time we ran is not enough to rank us among the top 16 in the world, which is what we need to make the Olympics.

I may or may not have mentioned it in a previous blog, but qualification goes a little something like this. You have to compete at least twice. Then you take the average time for both races and that time must rank you among the top 16 teams in the world, cos only the best 16 teams are allowed to compete in Beijing. So as it stands right now, we are outside the magic 16. I think we are around 18th.

So we have some thinking and math to do. We need to figure out how much faster the team is actually capable of running and compare that to what the other teams have run, then decide if we give it another go. It’s such a tough position to be in. We were so hopeful and capable of making it to the Olympics, but now we may need to start coming to terms with the fact that it might not happen, which sucks. We are definitely capable of running quicker. I’m getting faster and stronger with every race and Joanne can definitely run quicker. The training she missed cos of her knee injury hurt her fitness a bit, but she too will get faster with each race, but will it be enough? That’s the tough question. So we’ll take a couple of days to talk, calculate and decide.

So while we ponder our choices, you can check out some snaps from the weekend.




My 3 other team-mates, Michelle, Joanne & Brona.


Thats me in the middle, being led out to the track.
Me in action. I was lead off & managed to open up a 20m gap of the rest of the field. Nice

Apres race, a very tired looking bunch.
Joanne & I take an ice-bath to help legs recover. Well, its actually a wheely-bin filled with ice & cold water.

Me, Derval O'Rourke (100m Hurdler & all round World Beater), Deidre Ryan (High Jumper) at the after competition banquet.

8 comments:

Diane said...

Hey Daughter-in-law----I know you can do it! And I'm praying for you. Pavlik says, "Go get them, Auntie Karen".

Anonymous said...

Great work Shinkins, not bad for an oul one, I can't believe you are 39 and still running those times. From what I hear you not only ran well but you destroyed the opposition and nearly got the qualifying time on your own!! Fintan would be proud.

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen

Well done!! Great win!! So close!! I think if ye run in a more competitive race that your time may also be quicker. It may push that bit more if ye are running against teams that can keep up with ye!! :)

Do go for it! As you said yourself there is room for improvement, so I ama sure with a little bit more training you will cruise through!!

Unknown said...

Hard luck on not making the Top 16..... yet. If u opened up a 20m gap then ye had no competition to push ye on so maybe next time ye will do it. Beijing here we come...

Shinks said...

Diane: Hope god is listening.

Jeremy: Age comment - not true, how dare you. Comment on my run - very true.

Alan: Agree with your analysis, but unfortunately, its not my decision, its all up to Federation to decide if we try again.

James: Is this "Rookie"?

Anonymous said...

Oh Feck! That is a pity!! Hopefully the federation will realise that ye have a very very good chance to get there! When is the next possible race?

Anonymous said...

I can´t believe the age comment...

Yall ran great! I like when you put pictures with the blog!

but hey you lil skinny bitch ... I haven´t heard from you ... send me an email and tell me wassup!

Cormac said...

Congrats on the relay win and the excellent overall fourth place team finish. Hopefully ye'll have another pop at the qualifying.

Cormac.