Sunday, June 29, 2008

Getting Caught Up

I figured it was about time I got caught up on my blogging. It’s been a busy week for me here in Ireland, as it always is when I come back to visit. But before I update you on the week, let me just give a “parental warning”, or should I say, “track warning”. This blog, in addition to the pervious blogs, will be centered around track. For those of you with an interest in all things track, no problem, but for those of you with zero interest, this will probably be a bore and I apologize. But unfortunately since I took on the task of training for the 4 x 4, therefore making myself a semi-retired athlete, track has once again become the focus of my daily life. That and the fact that I married a track & field agent, who as I type is on his way back from the Jamaican Olympic trials, where he had a number of athletes competing and on to the US Olympic Trails, where he has another number of athletes competing. In addition to that, most of my close friends are surprise; surprise either ex-athletes or still competing athletes. So no matter how hard I try to step away from the sport, it remains very much front and center in my world.

As I still wait to hear the official word from our Federation regarding our relay, I keep on training. Honestly, its not looking good, but just in case there is a tiny chance, I don’t want to be the one that thought it was all over and so went off and drowned my sorrows in all things burgered and fried and dipped in chocolate. Lard arse’s do not make it around the track in record time, nor are they sexy.

Wednesday night I had the honor of guest appearing at the club where I started my own track career as a 7 year old, Newbridge AC. It was so weird to be back seeing the familiar faces of the coaches that put me to through my paces back in the day, doing the same with a new bunch of fresh and cheeky faced kids. I had a blast, but it did make me feel slightly old. Most of the kids were getting ready to compete, so I just handed out some racing tips and words of motivation. But I have agreed to come back on Tuesday night to take them all for a training session, which should be a lot of fun.

Then my friend Jeremy, who I coach for the 400 hurdles and who you might remember from a blog a few months back “Can Anyone Relate To This Pain??” was competing at a meet in Greystones, which is a small town in the Co. of Wicklow. I went as coaching support, cheerleader and photographer and let me just say, its hella hard trying to take pictures, as you cheer and as you watch for running form and hurdle technique. But I managed. Jer was having a great race until he hit the 8th hurdle, then things when a bit astray and so he had to settle for a second place finish on the night, but had been unbeaten up to this point.

Saturday night I took a break from all things track and went to a new restaurant in Naas, which is the town next to my own, called “Bia”. Bia, is Irish for “Food” but the restaurant is owned by a Polish gentleman and has a menu that is largely American type food. How’s that for a multi-cultural experience? The food was great, the company was great, but the wine was only ok, so didn’t drink much of that. But there’s still plenty of time to hit the pubs for a couple a pints, cos I’m here for another week. Then it’s off back to my new home in the ATL.


Me, in the middle with some of the kids from Newbridge AC.
This is the track we use to train on. You'll notice it's not your fancy Mondo, no, it's grass.
Jer, in action. Giving the hurdle a good smack.
The spectators get really into it.

It's all about the pubs and the pints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having fun back home catching up with family and friends.

I bet going back down to the track at the Tech felt weird??!!

Did I see a proper car park and club house/changing rooms in one of the pictures? It really has come on since I was last there...nice to see.

Enjoy the rest of your time back home.

Caitriona

Shinks said...

Wow, it has been a while since you were back. Yes, there is a car park AND changing rooms, can you imagine?? I haven't been inside, so not sure if there's toilets, but how could there not be??