Saturday, June 7, 2008

So How Did We Do?

Well, our team did amazing. Every one of us stepped it up and delivered a top class performance. We finished 3rd and ran 3.33.48, which is better by about 2 seconds than we were expected to do. So the excellent news is that we are still in with a good chance of Olympic qualification. All-round it was a good decision to send the relay to Italy. Now we have competed together as a team and with 1 run under our belt the confidence and commitment level is high. We are definitely looking forward to our next run in 2 weeks time.

On a personal note, my leg of the relay was solid. I had a fast split. Faster even than the couple of races I’ve done. I can definitely feel the speed and power coming back into my former 10k muscles. And dare I brag about the reemergence of my glute and hamstring muscles? Of course I do. There has been plenty of lactic, sweat and tears suffered the past few months in an effort to get them back and functioning.

Off the track, I just spent a nice relaxing day strolling the streets of Turin. As is normal practice, most of the athletes fly out the day after the meet, either onto the country of their next race or back to their training base, usually leaving the hotel at ungodly hours of 3am and 4am to catch flights that leave at 7am. However, I wasn’t able to get a flight back to the US until Sunday, at least not one that cost less than $2000, so I had all of Saturday to do whatever I wanted in fabulous Italy. And what do you think a girl should do whilst stranded in fabulous Italy? Why, shop of course.

I asked for a map at reception, (did you hear that Husband? “I ASKED FOR A MAP”) and had the not so friendly gentleman point out where I was and where I should go. He directed me towards the center of the city, highlighting the shopping areas, buildings of interest and statues of heroic men on horses. So off I went.

I love Europe. The cities are so easy to get around. You can walk most places, jump on a metro or tram to others or if you have access to a bike, then the world is your oyster. I headed straight to the shopping district. In my defense it was actually en-route to all the touristy stuff. I strolled along the busy street. As I looked around I got the feeling that the not so friendly gentleman at reception was mistaken about the type of shopping I was interested in. He had me slap in the middle of haute coutre ville. All around me was Gucci, Prada, D&G, Louis Vuitton, Hermes and many more. I was completely out of my shopping league here. So I kept walking, onwards towards the fountains, statues and buildings. Until, I spotted the familiar signs of Zara, H&M and Mango. Now we’re talkin. These are my type of stores. So I ventured in and about 2 hours later, I ventured out.

Shopping is a hungry sport, so after that I found a nice al fresco café and had lunch. I told the server, in the worst Italian you ever heard, that all I wanted was a sandwich. Something with cheese and some perchuto. Next he arrives with a huge plate of various meats, cheeses and bread, a glass of white wine and bottle of water. What a feast. Lovely job server. Top marks.

With a full stomach I was now ready for the touristy stuff. The only thing is, I wish I had a guidebook or something, cos as fabulous as it all was, I really had no idea what I was looking at. Oh well, I guess it means I just have to come back again.

I rounded off the day with a big fat cappuccino and an ice-cream at another café, cos you can’t really go to Italy and not have ice-cream, now can you??



See, I wasn't lieing about lunch.







Statues of men on horses.







Nice building of something or other



The closest I got to a Louis Vuitton bag today.









6 comments:

Brianna said...

Oh I am so jealous! What a fabulous day you had...that is what makes me appreciate travelling--when you get to have days like those!

congrats on the great run as well...you are such a stud!

Cormac said...

Hey Karen,

Congrats on the run. As you pointed out,the experience of running as a team will stand to ye for your next shot at the qualifying standard (will that be the european cup?). Hopefully, if Joanne Cuddihy returns to the fold in time, ye should be looking at a new NR!

That shopping day was your reward for the times you spent flat out on the track with exhaustion!

Cormac.

Shinks said...

Thanks guys for all the positive encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Well done Sis on the run, great start to the campaign to qualify. Good to get the run in to gel the team together. Good confidence builder for the next run.

Janis said...

Congrats on your great race!

Anonymous said...

Go on Karen!! Looks like I'll have to get make sure I get the TV schedule for Bejing so!! Looks like ye are going to make it!!