Friday, December 14, 2007

I Don't Do Crowds


So yesterday I finally made a start on my Christmas shopping. Yes, I know we are approaching the 1 week mark and its horrendous that I am not more organized, but this is the story.
I get so overwhelmed. The long list of people I need to buy for. What to actually buy for my long list. The traffic I’ll have to sit in just to get to the mall (shopping center). The parking merri-go-round I have to join in order to find a parking spot. The mall itself with all the angry, hostile people, just like me, who have left everything until the last minute. It’s a mare. My brain gets over stimulated and flustered. I lose track of what my plan of action was and I can’t think of one person or one gift to buy. All I know is I just want to get the hell out of there. Seriously, I don’t do crowds.

But I make an effort to breath and regain focus. I summon the people on my list to the fore of my mind. I then try to match that person with the perfect gift and from there, try to determine which store I need to head towards. Its sort of like one of the games they make the kids do on Sesame Street. If I am successful and by successful I mean, find the store and even manage to get the gift, then my confidence begins to take a turn upwards and my anxiety levels begin to dip and I feel like I am making progress. I can then, just about find the wherewithal to give it another go. So I think, think, “come on brain, who else is on my list”? I’m walking along at a pretty good pace, lost in my mental search, behind some ladies carrying loads and loads of bags, when all of a sudden the ladies decide to come to a sudden halt. I’m still inside my own head, so I don’t notice until I’ve already slammed into the back of them. I am so annoyed. I want to yell at them, “What were you thinking? You were in the fast lane, you can’t just stop, you need to put on your indicator and move off to the side so as not to disrupt the flow of oncoming persons. Honest to f*#king god.” But the ladies just turn and say “oh… I’m sorry”. Great, now I can’t yell at them without looking like a complete psycho.
I accept the apology and move on. I head into another store. Just gliding around the shelves waiting for the perfect gift for someone, anyone, to jump off the shelf at me. But I can see nothing but people. I’m getting clipped on the heels from strollers. I have arms reaching in front of me from all corners to pick up random items. I’m tired of hearing the words “excuse me” and “I’m sorry”. You know what, I’m sorry too. I can’t do this. I quit. I got one gift today. To me, in the moment, that sounds like an excellent start. So peace out y’all. I’m off to my car to sit in 7 hours of traffic.

4 comments:

wildnis said...

If you use copyright protected images without permission on your website you should at least give the photographers credit. The picture was taken by Rolf Hicker - Hicker Nature Photography.

Silja said...

oki ... dramaqueen!
You should have gave me the list and kredit card and I would have gotten all your gifts in a record time! hehe

Note to self - not use Rolf´s pictures...

later girl

Shinks said...

My bad Mr. Hicker. Cute picture though, but it won't happen again. Lesson learned.

wildnis said...

as said - no big deal just do fair play and give a link and photo credit - then we don't mind.

Keep up your great posts!
Rolf