Saturday, December 8, 2007

Farewell Dinner


So my friend Silja has been staying with us for 3 weeks. Silja, as the name suggests, is not a local girl. She is from Iceland. But we know each other cos husband was her coach, I want to say for 2 yrs, but I think it was only 1. Oh, by the way, she’s an athlete and runs the 400m hurdles and the point of her visit was to get her powerful ass out of the freezing winters of Iceland to a climate that would allow her to actually workout without having to wear clothing resembling a hunting caveman.
So anywho, today she heads back to Iceland and another friend of ours, Fanz, again as the name implies, not local, but from Hungary, well, she goes back to Hungary on Monday. Fanz is also an athlete, she does the pole-vault and 100m hurdles.

Ok, now that we are up to speed on the main characters, we can proceed. So myself (Ireland), Silja (Iceland), Fanz (Hungary) and Mike (a friend who actually is local) headed out for some dinner and drinks. We decide that tonight we are going to the fabulous places. The fabulous bars, the fabulous restaurants, the fabulous clubs. Right in the middle of downtown Atlanta.
We start at a place called “The Palms”. Rumor had it Bobby & Whitney (Houston) loved to hang out and have the odd domestic right there at The Palms. So we thought it would be an excellent idea to kick the night off with a few scoops (drinks) whilst chatting with our future best friends. However, there was no sign of the “happy” couple anywhere. So we had a cocktail, grabbed our purses and headed on to the fabulous restaurant for dinner. The restaurant was about 400m away so in a very un-American move, we decide to walk. Yes y’all, I said walk. We are strutting in a style very similar to the ladies of Sex and the City. The shoes I was wearing were not very foot friendly, really, really not made for walking, but they looked so hot and that’s all that mattered.

Dinner was soooo good. The server, not so good. Our chatty, girly vibe appeared to be the last thing on earth he wanted to deal with. We tried to be on our best behaviour each and every time he came to the table. But as the vino and cocktails made their way to our brain we were unable to hold back and Silja decided to ask him if he was having a bad day. He replied, “No, do I seem like I’m having a bad day?” In unison we all said, “YES”. From there Mr. Server stepped up his game and by way of apology brought us a free dessert and had the chef write “Farewell” in chocolate on the plate in honor of the girls. So sweet and more importantly, tip secured.

We ended our night at a fabulous club and now I’m just back from dropping Silja off at the airport. I’m sad to see her go. I live in a house, which is always full to the brim with men. Lots and lots of testosterone all the time. It was so nice to have another female around to laugh, talk and be a complete drama queen with. Husband has a big habit of being all “practical” when I want to get carried away on a drama queen rant. It’s a real buzz kill. But not my female friends, they totally allow me to indulge in this side of my personality. What great friends.

Anyway, bye bye Sil. I miss you. Have a great Christmas.

1 comment:

Silja said...

I had soooo much fun that night!

Thanks for everything... Especially the cop treatment :D

Later beib!