Friday, January 29, 2010

Track & The City

I'm in New York City, don't hate. I'm here for the weekend competing at the Melrose Games. Well, I use the word "compete" loosely, my real job here is to pace-make the women's mile and I'm super excited. I love to pace-make. Pace-making gives me a good reason to stay fit & in shape and allows me to remain a competitor in the world of Track & Field without being a competitor, if that makes sense. Aaaand I get to spend the weekend in New York.

Our hotel is on 7th Avenue, aka Fashion Avenue, aka Shopping Heaven for Women. Sweeeeet, and I'm just back from strolling the icy cold, deliciously busy, over crowded streets of New York and of course I have some shopping bags in tow. Honestly, I tried not to get sucked in. I tried hard not to be a New York shopping cliche, but I failed. Oh well, at least I tired, right?? (Don't worry, I'm not buying my bull either).

But one place I did find myself unexpectedly, Parsons New School of Design. OMG, I was internally screaming like a little girl at a Jonas Brothers concert. Unless your a Project Runway fan, this will make zero sense and have absolutely no impact on your day whatsoever. However, I am a fan. Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum are my total celebrity BFF's. True they have no idea, but they just haven't had the opportunity to meet me yet. Given time, the 3 if us will be inseparable.
As I strolled passed the entrance I saw a small group of what I can only assume are some of next season's designer hopefuls. The nervous chain-smoking. The aggressive caffeine consumption were all telltale signs. These people were under intense pressure and stress, possibly sewing for their lives within the design rooms at Parsons. So very exciting. I tried to take a mental photo of the faces I saw, just so I can look out for them next season.

Now I'm back in my hotel room, chilling and surfing and saving my energy for a night of fantastic track performances at Madison Square Garden. I wish myself a good solid job as pace-maker.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen,
Paul and I were so excited to see you running last night. I can only imagine how fast your heart must have been beating while waiting for the gun to go off. We watched the entire track meet and it was so much fun to cheer on the Doyle Team. You did a great job!! Love Ellen and Paul Stanton

Shinks said...

Hey Ellen, I'm glad you both got to watch the meet. Its much more fun when you know some of the people competing. I'm pacing in Boston next weekend, so look out for me again.
See you soon.
Karen