Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Music Doesn't Lie

I've always proclaimed that I'm a child of the '90's, and by that I don't mean I believe I was born in the the '90's, I know thats not true, sadly. I was definitely born in the 70's, the higher end of the decade thank you very much, but my whole adult life I believed that during the 80's I was too young and very uninterested in anything to do with music or fashion. My biggest concerns during that time were do I ask Santa for a bike this year or is that just too much? Will my new trainers make me run faster than my old trainers. Why won't my brother let me play football with him and his friends? "Cos your a girl" he told me. What?? That doesn't make sense. If I get a My Little Pony it has to come with a hairbrush ("Daaaaad (tears streaming down my face) it doesn't have a hairbrush. Its no good without a hairbrush, how am I suppose to brush his tail?? No I can't use my own one, its too big").

As far as music and fashion went, I had little or no interest, or so I thought.


Yesterday as I'm creeping my way along the soul destroying Friday evening traffic here in Atlanta, I'm listening to a radio station that's doing an "80's Weekend" and there I am, movin, shakin and singin at the top of my lungs to Wham "....I don't want your freeeeeedom, I don't want to play around, I don't want nobody baby......lalalalalala....girl-all- I-want-right-now-is you, do-do-do-do000h".

The Madonna classics like Material Girl. Then there was the "Its Raining Men" song by a group I can't remember and honestly thought was circa 1970 something anyway. Either way I'm well impressed with song word recalling abilities until a thought stops me dead in my mental tracks. Wait a second, am I in fact a child of the 80's and not the 90's as previously thought?? Noooo, surly not. Come to think of it I do remember back-combing my hair, stacking jelly-bracelets from wrist to elbow and teaming my little black ankle boots up with leg-warmers, but I could have sworn that was the early 90"s, was it not??? I don't suppose the radio station was confusing their 1980's and early 90's music were they?? This is a real blow I have to say. The radio station has thrown a complete spanner in the works. I now have to re-think my personal history timeline and try and figure out who it is I really am. I just don't now anymore. Thanks alot George Michael, Madonna and all your other 1985 buddies. You've succeeded in making me feel, of all things, OLD. Rude!


No comments: