Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Big Freeze Hits Georgia

This has been the coldest week Atlanta has seen in something like 84 years. Snow and ice as far as the eye can see right now. The roads are like glass and the news is full of stories of cars skimming across surfaces in somewhat of an automobile Ice Capades fiasco. Its a complete disaster and I'm doing my best to drive as little as possible, least I end up in a unwanted waltz with fellow drivers.

The exciting part of all this is that our lake is frozen, nice and thick. Not thick enough for yours truly to attempt a walk on it, I ain't crazy, but enough for Husband to risk life and hyperthermia to get out there and skate, he is crazy. I was not a big supporter of this adventure, not one bit and I watched on with my stomach in my mouth, my heart racing and my cell phone close at hand as I tried to plan out what the rescue attempt would look like should Husband go plummeting through the ice. Nerve wrecking. But it got worse. Dexter and Fintan also wanted in on the action. For some reason they were loving the frozen lake. Late last night Fintan made a break for it and headed straight for the lake where he proceeded to do sprints up and down the lake surface in a very surreal, very Disney like manner. Dexter joined Husband for a bit of a glide around this morning and Fintan just opted for a wee stroll this time around.

The good news, besides the fact that everyone survived the experience, is that we captured some of this craziness on camera, photo and video. So check it out.


Fintan is a little shy at first.



But soon he's off and running.


The lake, frozen.


The Husband, actin crazy.


Not sure why he has his hockey stick. Maybe to pull himself out should it all go wrong.



To see a video of Husband and Dexter get all Ice Capadey, click HERE

To see a video of Fintan take a stroll, click HERE



1 comment:

Silja said...

wowww nice... is that lake on your property???
hehe finally the ice is gone here and I guess it landed in ATL ;) muhahahahha!

More pictures - next of you on ice in a mini tutu ;)