Sunday, June 7, 2009

Learning, The Hard Way

Shinks learned a couple of things this past weekend.


  • Sometimes its NOT best to book a hotel room before you arrive at your destination. I headed to South Carolina this past weekend to assist my new photographer friend, Jill, at a wedding she was shooting. Jill recommended I book my hotel room in advance, as S. Carolina is a hugely popular place, especially on weekends. So with the kung fu kicking William Shatner (aka, Captain Kirk) of the Priceline commercials fresh in my mind, I hit up the website to find myself a luxury room at a dirt cheap price. BIG mistake. The hotel was dodgy and scary, like bad things happen here scary. As soon as I got to my room, I turned the dead bolt, hooked the little chain lock thing and was in the process of dragging a chair in front of the door when a thought struck me. “What if the rapist is already in the room waiting for me? Like he knew I was coming.” So I immediately undid the dead bolt, the chain thing and moved the chair out of the path of the doorway until I had swept the room for hidden rapists. Under the bed, clear. In the closet, clear. Bathroom, clear. Everything, clear. Now I could engage all locks and bolts and continue with the minor furniture rearranging.

  • Because I am not by nature a tall person, I like to wear heels as much as I can. The extra elevation does wonders to enhance my confidence and self esteem and since I was really, REALLY nervous about my role as assistant photographer, I figured a slight heel won’t hurt. Wrong. 8 hours in heels, even if that heel is a mere 2 inches, will hurt. It will hurt your calves, feet and back, badly.

  • Shinks CAN go 8 hours without peeing. Yes, she of the tiny bladder and frequenter of the bathroom can, if the situation requires, find it within herself to go the distance without peeing.

  • Lastly, 8 hours of shooting, photos that is, is tough but so much fun. I loved every second of it. Thanks so much Jill for letting me assist, I had a blast and learned a lot.


Me, using the mirror to test my equipment.



2 comments:

Jackie E. said...

Hey Karen, thanks for stopping by today:-) So nice to hear from you and I hadn't seen that ad or maybe I just overlooked myself cause I watched most of the Doha meet.

I am so with you on the whole heels for a long time thing. I've suffered through some awful experiences in the name of "being cute" and have been stupid enough to do it on multiple occasions. Must be thick in the head, lol!

Photographer's assistant huh? Sounds like fun!! If you're embarking on a new hobby/career, then good luck with it!!!

Jill Higgins said...

hahahaha...so funny.

Thanks SO much for helping.

:)