Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Am Not Gandhi

Yes, I've hijacked a lap top so I can share/vent my frustrations about the drama that occurred as I tried to make my way to Boston.

Luck is not really on my side when it comes to flying these days. The flight to Boston last night which should have been simple, straightforward and about 2 hours, ended up being anything but.

Scheduled to leave Atlanta at 8.15pm, I went to the airport straight from work and managed to get on an earlier flight, one leaving at 6.50pm. Sweet, this would get me to my destination well ahead of time. However, after I checked in, I was told the flight was delayed and would now be leaving at 7.35pm. No big deal, would still arrive ahead of my original flight. Once at the gate, we were informed that the flight was no longer delayed, departure would now be 6.50pm, so "could those of you seated in zones 1 & 2 or traveling with small children please step forward for boarding". Oh no, wait, "maintenance is on the plane so we will discontinue boarding at this time". A few minutes later, announcement that flight would now be leaving at 7.20pm. Update, 7.35pm. Update, 7.55pm. Update, flight now leaving from a different gate, "so please make your way to gate B15".

Am starting to lose it. The wounds are still too fresh from my Philly experience and I know that this is going to be a long night. I need to do something fast to stop the anger and frustration that's being to boil up inside me. So I do the only thing a girl can really do given the present situation and that is to hit the food court in search of cookies. But not those civilized ones with the raindrop sized chips, no, I am mad and need the Frisbee size, with chips as big as a baby's fist. Anything less would just be a waste of time.

With cookies in hand I return to the new gate and find a corner to sit. I sit and try desperately to channel my inner Gandhi. Gandhi, given the same situation would merely sit, cross-legged, straight spine'd, with hands atop of each knee, both middle finger and thumb gently touching, as he closed his eyes and released all feelings of hostility and aggression. However, I AM NOT GANDHI. I am a passionate individual who experiences emotions in the extreme. So I need to forget Gandhi, cos as a human, he's just making me feel less evolved.

Eventually we commence boarding, but as I sit in my seat waiting for the remaining passengers to find theirs, I hear a smack of thunder. This is not good. I hear another smack, see a flash of lighting and then the rain starts. The captain tells us we will be grounded until the storm passes. Of course we will. At this stage I feel like we'll be grounded here at gate B15 until judgement day. More announcements of delays. More announcements of pointless apologies. It goes on and on until we're eventually released somewhere around 10pm and just before midnight we land in Boston. I'm drained and grumpy and seriously contemplating never flying again. But in reality, that's not going to work. I have quite a few trips planned over the next few months. So I guess the only other solution is to stock up on the Frisbee sized chocolate chip cookies. Sedate the anger with sugar. That's what I say.

2 comments:

Brianna said...

you have been having the worst travel luck! on the bright side though...you made me laugh! :)

Shinks said...

Thats probably what I need to do, laugh more at the craziness of the whole thing. And just to add, 2 and a half hours delayed on my return to Atlanta on Sunday.