Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Camping Anyone??

At a birthday dinner last Friday night I had a few too many scoops of wine. No surprise there, right? When it comes to a yummy wine, Shinks has NO off-switch and trust me, I have spent many a night searching for said switch, thinking and truly believing that it lies somewhere at the bottom of my next glass, but it never is and yet again I walk away the loser. Off-switch nowhere to be found, Shinks intoxicated.

Friday night was no different. We were at a fabulous restaurant, with some fabulous friends having a fabulous time and the wine was flowing. And since it was a party, I went with the flow. Fast forward a couple of hours and Shinks is buzzing. Husband now has his hands full as I’m not the easiest to control once my brain becomes fermented. But luckily for him, I was pretty tired this night so it wasn’t long before the buzz wore off and all I was ready to do was sleep.

Once back in the house I made a big effort to sit and converse, but me thoughts were a mess and I could not get my brain and my mouth to sync up, as a result, very random statements and bits of useless information just spewed endlessly from my foggy brain. Eventually I just gave up. The fatigue got me and I knew it was time to retire myself to bed.

Once in my bedroom I looked down on the floor and had a thought. “Damn that floor looks comfortable. I think I’ll just grab my duvet and pillow and set it up right here by the bathroom door. Yes, that’s definitely the best spot in the whole room”. I ran the idea past my cat, Fintan and he agreed. So we put the plan into action. Duvet was pulled from the closet, spread out on the floor, a pillow was added for extra comfort and kitty and I were set. Life was good.

However, a while later I’m woken by Husband. I can hear his voice and eventually his face comes into vision, but I don’t know what he’s saying. I’m confused. I can’t even remember where I am. He keeps saying something but its no good, I don’t understand so I try to block him out and get back to my blissful sleep, but he’s relentless. He gives me another shake and begins to repeat himself. This time however, I understand. His words are making sense, “Shinks, what are you doing on the floor? Why aren’t you in the bed?” I brush off his question and once again, make an attempt to go back to sleep. For some reason I think he’s being difficult, cos in my mind, its obvious why I’m on the floor. But he won’t be silenced, “Shinks what are you doing on the floor?” Ok, now I’m irritated, he’s not giving up, he really wants an answer, so I give it to him, “I’m camping”, I tell him with a tone that’s screaming “Duh, can’t you tell”.

Honestly, to me, in the moment, it was perfectly logical. As far as I was concerned, he was the idiot, not me. Go figure the logic of a person with a few too many scoops on board.

No comments: