Sunday, December 14, 2008

Wild Night......Not

Its just approaching 7.30am on New Years Day and yours truly is up. Wide awake and alert. Well, wide awake at least. “Why you up so early Shinks, on this a global holiday? Perhaps you just got your disheveled, one shoe on, one shoe off, mascara running down the face self in from some jam packed bar, club or house party?”
Well, as a matter of fact you would be wrong on all accounts. This year there was some very unShinks like behavior going on. Shinks, did NOT go out. As a matter of fact, Shinks did not even stay awake long enough to see in the New Year. “What the hell is wrong with you Shinks? That just sounds so unlike you? Are you sick or something?” Yes, yes I am. Luckily I’m functional sick, not the type that has me bedridden or anything but just feeling miserable.

Yesterday evening, not long after placing several bottles of wine in the fridge to chill, I started to get a pounding headache. Initially I thought it was my body getting a head start on the hangover it was anticipating at the sight or all the wine. But several glasses of water, a hot tea, millions of pills and a lay down later, I was feeling no better. In fact, I was feeling worse. How could this happen? Why was my body trying to intercept my New Years fun? Who knows. But eventually I stopped trying to fight it and just went to bed and slept through the dawning of a new year. Booooooooooooo.

On top of all that, I finally get the opportunity to sleep in cos I’m not working today, but somehow I find myself wide-awake at the standard get up time of “crack-of-dawn o’clock”. So frustrating. But a least my headache has subsided a good bit and I’m now just left with a few low impact tremors. And since I was awake anyway, I decided to get up and be a little productive by way of cleaning the kitchen. That lasted about 10 minutes, so I decided to get online and see if any of my European friends were knocking around Skype. But alas, no. They are all probably nursing hangovers from the previous evenings festivities, Silja, I don’t know what your excuse is, maybe your helping Vignir nurse his hangover, but know that I have been waiting and waiting for you to show your pregnant self online so we can chat.

Anyway, in the absence of any Skype action, I got this opportunity to put my little rant on the blog. Hope everyone had a great New Years and don’t worry, I will get my chance to celebrate 2009, it will just be a little later then the rest of the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear oh dear!! Poor poor you!! That doesn't sound like much fun at all!! Truth be told I think most places in Ireland were quite enough. I know my little town was much quieter than Stephen's night.

Happy New Year though, I hope it gets going at some stage for you!!

Anonymous said...

Ok I am very confused now!!!

How come all your blogs have been posted at 8:30pm and how come you New Year post is dated the 14th December??

Strange me thinks?!

Shinks said...

Yeah, I'm finding the blog settings a bit f*#ked up lately. No idea whats going on. Must try and reset/sort those bitches out.
Happy New Year to you too though.

Anonymous said...

No worries I think I'll manage to follow New Year celebrations on 14th Dec!! Ha ha!!

So what have you planned for this year? Will there any be more comebacks on the track??

Silja said...

Hey babe...

I saw your blog at 8.50...
We were playing board games until 5am so I had to sleep in ;) But I was online aaaaallll day!

You in Boston now? next time you are so impatient - just send me a text!

happy new year!

Daragh said...

So did you make up for it on New Year's Day?!

I actually did the same but it had nothing to do with being sick... we were landed with Mare's nephew for some insane reason and so had to adopt sensible stance... in bed by 11.15 in a temper!!

Hope you're keeping well anyway, sorry I never got to catch up with you in the end when you were over that time, when I rang you were obviously gone back!

Adh mor,
DOC