Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Global Pacing

This weekend I'm on the pace-making trail again, but this time we're not going local, we're going global. Yes, I'm off to Birmingham, England where I'll be pacing the women's mile at the Aviva Grand Prix and I'm pretty excited/nervous about the whole affair. Why? Well, the nerves were triggered last night when Husband read an article from the IAAF website (which is the International track federation website) saying that 1500m athlete Burka was making an attempt at breaking the world record for the mile in Birmingham this weekend.
Initially I thought he said "Bertha" was making an attempt at the record and honestly, in my twisted mind, Bertha did not sound like someone who could break a world record for the mile. Bertha sounded, for want of a better word, well, bigger. A buxom type girl if you will, who might be more comfortable power cleaning 4 Mini Coopers at the World Weight-Lifting Championships in Latvia or some other Eastern European country instead of trying to run 8 laps of a track. So I told him not to worry, I could handle old Bertha. But her name was not Bertha, her name is Burka, as in Gelete Burka, World Indoor Champion from Ethiopia. Now this changes everything. When it comes to distance these Ethiopian's do not play. They are hardcore and have endurance for days. I will definitely have to be on my A game this weekend if I'm to help pace Burka to her World Record. There are serious times to be hit at every point of the race and no room for error what so ever. But I believe I'm ready. Training went well this week, so all thats left to do is show up, wish myself and Ms. Burka luck and haul ass right from the gun.

I'll be leaving my laptop behind in Atlanta, all in the name of traveling light, but I'll be back in the US Sunday evening and if there is anything big to report in the mean time, then I'll hijack someone else's computer in an effort to share.


2 comments:

Angie said...

Good luck in Bermingham. I'm sure you'll be great as usual. Don't pick up any more flu's. Weather is rubbish this side of the Atlantic too so bring your hat and gloves.
XXX

Shinks said...

Thanks for the heads up girl. I have packed accordingly. The snow in Atlanta recently has helped me prepare too. Bring it on Birmingham.