Sunday, May 25, 2008

Long Weekend


Because this weekend is a long weekend here in the US, almost every family is planning to go somewhere or do something they wouldn’t generally schedule or have the time to do. But since my family, Husband, is out of the country, my substitute family, Inter Gordy, and I decided to pack our little backpacks and roll out of the city, into the Boonies of Georgia.

Gordy is big into the fishing, so he’s been researching some of the best places for fishing here in Georgia. And that’s when he came across a little known spot called Sprewell State Park. It’s about an hour south of Atlanta but feels like its about 10 years south of Atlanta. Its REEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAL country honey. We’re talkin pick-ups, people chewing tobacco, while smoking a cigarette, drinkin a beer and tossing a fishing line (no idea if that’s the right “fishing” phrase) all at the same time. Pure talent.

When we got there we parked and went exploring along the river, the Flint River, I believe it’s called and never before have I seen such a cocktail of creatures. Frogs, lizards, hawks, turtles, fish and of course ants. Lots and lots of those bastards. But I happened to have my camera with me managed to snap some pics of most of the things we saw.

Then after a short hike to a quieter part of the park, Gory got himself set up to fish and I got myself set up to sunbath. Unfortunately, my pale Irish skin does not tan straight away. No, I have to endure a couple of uncomfortable days of some minor burning before I become a bronzed goddess, or, maybe just a girl with an extra few billion freckles. I’m hoping for the former.



This guy was the perfect model. He didn't move for a good 2 minutes, which gave me time to get down on my stomach and get this shot.










It may be hard to see, but trust me, there is a lizard on that tree.
He has excellent camouflage.
















This is the hill all those bastard ants came out of and savaged my foot.












Oh yeah, the whole reason we were here, Gordy wanted to fish. He didn't catch anything and apparently its all my fault, I brought him bad luck. I think it was the shorts myself. The fish were terrified.











I thought this was a cute pic of a man teaching his daughter to fish.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see yall are bonding... !

You are obviously learning something cool in your photography class... the pics are good! Especially the froggie, and everything around him is blurry...

Impressive!

Shinks said...

Oh Sil,
You are my most dedicated blog reader AND commentator. I love ya for it.
And thank you for noticing my photographic improvements.