Sunday, April 12, 2009

Confessions

The great Oprah always says “the truth will set you free”. Yes, she stole it from God, but as far as some people are concerned, Oprah is God and as long as people are getting the memo, then the source is irrelevant.

With that said, I have a confession of my own. We all know today is Easter Sunday. The end of lent. The end of 40 days and 40 nights of sacrifice. And just in case you forgot, let give you a quick reminder of what my sacrifice was………CHOCOATE. Did I make it? Well, funny you should ask. It’s kind of a grey area. The short answer is “NO”, sadly, Shinks was a fallen soldier on this challenge. I know, I know, what a complete disappointment, but if you just hear me out you’ll see that it made perfect sense for me to jump ship somewhere around the 3 week.

I’m not a big dessert girl. Cake, pie, pastries, donuts and ice cream hold zero interest for me. I can take them or leave them and more often then not I choose to leave them. Chocolate is my Achilles heel. However, a very interesting thing happened once I made the decision to quit. All of a sudden I found myself eating, of all things, cake, pastries and even a donut, which I absolutely despise. Cold turkey had sent me insane. I had begun to replace my standard drug of choice, with a brand new drug and if there was an unguarded cake or pastry within feet of me, lookout, I could double fist it with the animal focus and aggression of Mike Tyson in his prime. Throw in the fact that now even the comfy jeans required a great big suck in of air just to get the button closed. Things had taken a rapid turn for the worse and as a result, a re-evaluation was necessary. The outcome of my evaluation? Get back on the chocolate, fast. For some reason, as much chocolate as I’m capable of eating, it still appeared to be considerably less than the desserts I’m able to put away. Who knew? Not I. But I’m happy to report that once I decided that chocolate was no longer the enemy, my craving stabilized. Once again dessert held zero interest and I actually began eating less chocolate, sometimes even no chocolate. Crazy.

Anyway, sadly on the day I should have been collecting my boarding pass, my golden ticket for a guaranteed place in heaven, I must instead settle back on the waitlist for a spot that is TMD (To Be Determined).

On a more upbeat note, I am currently in the throws of Easter dinner preparations. Last week we received a great big ham as a gift from Intern Jordy’s (formally Gordy) parents. Thank you so much Paul & Ellen. And cos this little piggy is way to big for just us, we invited a bunch of friends over to share in the feast.




And to add a slice of spring to our dinner table, I got my hands on some daffodils. Thats them reflected in my diningroom mirror. Yes, you can say it, I'm very creative.

No comments: