Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Broke - back, ass, arms & knees - Mountain


Husband and I had our 3rd anniversary about 2 weeks ago, but at the time we didn’t get a chance to mark the small miracle of reaching such a milestone, cos my family were here for a visit and then we had a couple of other friends stay with us for a week, so the opportunity never arose. Instead, we choose to ignore the actual day the marriage took place and moved it to a day that suited our schedule more. That day was yesterday. Our faux anniversary if you will.

So yesterday morning we loaded up “Foxy”, Husband’s beloved plane, took off and headed north into the Georgia Mountains. Blairsville was our destination. Once there, a dude from Enterprise met us at the tiny airport with our rental car. We took the car a little deeper up into the mountains to a place called Trackrock and there we spent the day riding horses.

I use to ride horses when I was a kid, but one day, when I was about 6 or 7, the pony I was on decided he was over trotting around in circles and being well behaved and so he made a mad dash for freedom by jumping the pasture fence, while I was still on his back. This sent my 6 year old self into complete panic mode and at that point I felt like I had no option but to throw myself violently from the beast in an effort to get away. I hit the ground hard and was so shock up that I never went on a horse again. Well, that’s a slight lie. I did try again many years later, but the fear was still there. And this frustrated me, cos I know I love to ride horses, but I just couldn’t seem to get passed what happened all those decades ago. Husband on the other hand had only ever been on a horse once before yesterday and that was last March or April, for about 10 minutes. So he has had no bad experiences and therefore no fear.

The trek took us through some of the Georgia mountain forests and even though I was tense and anxious for a while, once I realized the horse I was on was not the loose canon of my younger years, I relaxed and really got into the whole experience. Most of the trekking was through forest but we did get to a portion of open fields where we had the option to let rip on the horse to see what kind of speed they had. This part I wasn’t too sure about. Was I strong and confident enough to control my horse at high speed? I guess there was only one way to find out. So I just took a deep breath and went for it. And let me tell you, it was amazing. It was so much fun I wanted to keep him running. Husband blazed a trail right after me like he was a Kentucky Derby contender for next year. You’d never have thought it was just his second time on a horse. So annoying.

The only down side from the day was soreness. Let me tell you, on that horse you are tapping into muscles you have never used before. I could feel it in my knees, my arms and obviously my ass even before I dismounted. But it went to a whole other level once I did eventually get off the horse. It took a minute for me to recognize my legs under me again and then I got busy trying to identify what exactly was hurting. I listed off all the areas of pain to Husband as we walked to the car and looked for his list in return, just for comparison and to know that I was not alone in my suffering. He assured me I would not be alone and that made me happy. That and the fact that I had now overcome my little horsey fear was enough to keep me buzzing all the way back to Atlanta.


Pre trekking picture.


My horse felt like grabbing a quick bite before we headed off.



Husband waits patiently for the off.



Self shot from on top of my beast.


A nice rear view.


Us and our horses, Nimo and Buford.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys soooo romantic! That´s a cool day you guys had together!

You never do anything cool when I´m over - i´m upset!

Next time we´re gonna do something cool... please!!!

Miss you babe!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis

Remember the previous horse incident now. Wasn't funny at the time, pretty scary. But it is a bit of a laugh thinking about it now.

Fair play for conquering the old demons. Looks like the two of you had a great time

Cormac said...

You should win some sort of blogging award for that title. Too Funny!