Friday, July 4, 2008

It's Official


A couple of days ago I got an e-mail from my Federation, telling me “officially” that the women’s 4x400m relay, will not be making another attempt at qualification for Beijing. And even though I had pretty much figured this would be the situation, it was still disappointing.


I didn’t think I would feel so down about it, cos really, until February/March of this year, the idea of me stepping somewhat out of retirement and challenging for a position on the Irish Olympic Team was the furthest thing from my mind. But that quickly shifted once I ran my first race and decided to really knuckle down and put in some hard training to get back all my speed and power. And I did. I completely latched onto the idea and knew with the pool of female 400m runners we have here in Ireland, qualification was a definite possibility and I wanted to do the best I could to have myself ready, so that I would be an asset to the team. I committed myself and did the hard training.

Unfortunately life is not always a novel with a happy ending and we had to deal with a couple of things leading into our races that inhibited us performing at 100%. But on the day, we gave it our best shot and there is nothing more you can ask for. And if truth be told, I really enjoyed getting back into the training and my “Guest Appearance” on the Irish Team, even if it was only for a couple of months.

2 comments:

Janis said...

Sorry about the news. :( The good thing is you're coming away with a positive outlook! Now it's time for all things chocolate and fried!

Anonymous said...

Ah that's so unfair!! Fecking hell!! Why why why!! I'm very disappointed now, but i am sure not half as disappointed as you and the team must be!!! Maybe you'll have to dust down the spikes and make an effort for London 2012!! I am sure that Athletics Ireland will go for that as it won't cost them so much getting there!!!