Thursday, December 27, 2007

Boston

Today is our last day in Boston. Tomorrow we pack up and head to Ireland. I love Boston, actually I love cities, especially old cities. They have so much more character, history and personality then the shiny new ones. Boston also reminds me very much of Dublin. The layout is very similar, messy. There is no real logical grid system like that of New York, so I am guaranteed to get very lost. But it’s only through getting lost that you find yourself in places you didn’t expect or even think to go to.

This is what happened to husband and I on Christmas Day morning. We got up early to go for a jog…. crazy? Maybe, considering there was snow everywhere and it was cold. But off we went. We headed towards a jogging trail that ran around the perimeter of a reservoir. Once we got there, we discovered it was mostly snow and ice. There was the odd stretch of a dirt and grass path peeping through, but not enough to get a good run. So we decided to just walk. At one point we spotted a big football stadium and waddled across the ice to have a nose around.

It took us a minute, but we realized we were in fact on the Boston College Campus. Home of the infamous “Doug Flutey Pass”, this will only make sense to my American friends. As you would expect on Christmas Day, the place was deserted. We had the campus all to ourselves. Huge stone buildings, giving a very serious, intimidating impression of the type of people and education that might go on here.

Close to the stadium was a long set of stone steps, all clear of snow and ice. So this was going to be our workout for the day. Running repeat steps. Which was a great idea, until you are on your 13th run up, then your starting to question your own logic.

But I managed to get some nice photos, I rarely go anywhere without my camera these days. Love the camera.

(me trying to get in agressive football stance on Boston College
Football Field)

No comments: